Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Raising Christian Children > Entertainment

Notices

Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 PM
CPF Senior Member

Default Anybody use Netflix?

We don't have cable, dish, or anything else for that matter. So needless to say we don't watch much TV and when we do we just go rent a movie. That being said there just aren't many good, decent movies in the 1 movie rental place within 30 miles of our house, and rumor has them closing in Jan. So I have been considering Netflix but I am totally unfamiliar with how they work, I did go to their site but I am a sceptic and was just wanting some feedback from an actual user. So if anybody here uses them would you recommend them to me?

Thanks in advanced
BD.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 AM
CPF Senior Member

We use it and love it. They have every movie imaginable. We have been able to expose or kids to some great classics that they really enjoy. They also have instant watch that you can watch on your PC for no extra charge. Lots of kid movies as well as family. We do the 2 movie at a time and that is plenty. We get them with in 2 days and have only had one that wouldn't play. We reported it on the web site and they sent a replacement the next day.
I would defiantly recommend it.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Admin

If you are a family that regularly would rent or would enjoy movies it's a great deal. I think it's currently $9 a month and it really is simple. Just order what you want on online and voila it appears. You can even create a queue of movies you'd like to have delivered. I think you can have two out at a time but basically when you return one they deliver the next one in the queue. Basically as fast as you can watch them they deliver them. Obviously with rental prices these days it breaks even with only two movies a month. I don't know how they warehouse things because it seemed to me I would order something and it would arrive the next day via regular mail. They must have distribution all over the place. We tried it out for a while but our usage couldn't justify it. We would occasionally get a scratched up DVD, but of course they would instantly replace it. Overall our experience with them was very positive. Sounds like a great fit for what you are looking for.

They use to even have a month or so free trial if I recall.

Tom

Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM
CPF Senior Member

Man thanks, I have about decided to give it a try. I am glad you mentioned the old movies steph, that is probably a lot of what I will be watching. The boys will probably also love the new kids movies that come out. I guess I'm just so sceptical I need a couple of people that I trust to give me a little reassurance.

Thanks again you two.

BD.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 AM
CPF Senior Member

Don't forget to utilize the "watch now" movies. You can watch as many as you like and it does not cost a cent more. They also have a queue for the watch now. I have done this so the kids had a movie they wanted to watch and Kenny and I could watch one we rented or vise versa.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Leader

we do the blockbuster movies. we do 3/month. but the store is about 15 min from us. we can return up to 2 a month at the store and trade for another movie without paying extra.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 12-15-2008, 02:54 PM
CPF Senior Member

I use netflix, we love it here also. You can watch as many movies you want all day right off the computer...It is pretty cool and they do have decent movie
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM
CPF Senior Member

Well I'm signed up, I am glad to see everyone so satisfied with them. And honestly I am a little surprised, I guess I am to suspicious of people. I did see the thing where you could watch instantly but I have not looked at it to see how exactly it works and honestly our DSL is the slowest of anybody I know so I'm not sure it will be worth the trouble, but I'll give it a shot sooner or later.

And might I add I am glad to have this place to come ask you great people a simple little question. It never ceases to amaze me that I can have people I consider friends that I have never met. And a special thanks to Tom for making it all possible.

BD.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:07 PM
CPF Senior Member

If you do watch them online you will need to download their viewer. It doesnt take that long. Kenny and I have watched all the Quantum Leaps that way. There really is a lot of good stuff on there. I am glad you joined. We should be able to give some great movie reviews.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:08 PM

I love Netflix. We don't go out much so Netflix allows us to see the movies we want to see without paying the movie theater costs
Trying to find my way "home".