Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Raising Christian Children > Education

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 AM

Question Why do private Christian schools require an interview with the parents?

Can someone help me on this one?

Why do you have to go through an interview to send your kindergarten to a Christian school? I can understand why, say a sophomore would need to, but a kindergartener?

Sometimes its worries me if this is a way to weed out families they don't like for ridiculous absurd reasons such as race and lower economic lifestyle I hope that's not the case though. I will definitely not send my kids to a school that discriminates.

The private school that we are considering (we're moving its in a different town) actively advertises on commercials, ad in the paper, etc, so I think they want new kids to come.

Anway, why do they have interviews? My philosophy is that if they can afford it they should be able to come.

I'm nervous about having an interview..........
Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Leader

i'm sure it's for a good reason--in their eyes.

just be yourself and relax. pray for peace before you go in,
and pray that if this is the right school for your child, it will happen.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Hospitality Team

My guess is they want to make sure the parents are sending their child there for a good education and not because no other school will take him. While, with a Kindergartener can't have been kicked out of other schools, it is probably a school wide requirement. It may also be to discuss some of their rules and they want to make sure the parents are on the same page and/or to discuss the tuition and how it will be paid.

Like CK said, don't stress about it and be yourself. You'll do just fine!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM
CPF Senior Member

I would also think of it as me interviewing them. I would be sure to ask lots of questions and make sure that you being involved in your children's education will be embraced. I don't think there's anything to be nervous about. It would be important to me to meet my children's educators and make sure the school is the right fit for us. I think the "interview" is beneficial to both the school and the family. Praying for peace
Doggie Mommy to Winston (3yo Goldendoodle)
"We love because He first loved us" 1 John 4:19
Old 08-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Staff

Lightbulb

Hi Sahm,

I agree with what the others have already suggested here.

What is this school's policy for new students and their families? Do they only take children from families where one or both parents have a credible profession of faith (are they interviewing you to see if you are really a Christian)? Some schools have this requirement as well as the requirement that you are a member in good standing at a Bible-believing church.

Other schools don't have such a requirement, but would like the opportunity to get to know the parents of the children they'll be instructing. I would imagine this to be important to maintain a sense of community in the school. Maybe they want to avoid the "drop the kid at the door" kind of situation in which the parents' only involvement in their child's education is to drop them off, pick them up, and pay the tuition, YKWIM?

Definitely go with the mindset that Liz suggested, that this is "two way interview."
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
Old 08-24-2010, 06:49 PM
CPF Senior Member

Just because someone has the money to send their child to a school doesn't mean thaty're going to support and encourage their childs learning or that they're going to be willing to be involed in school activities like the school fair etc.

My daughter's father has been pre enrolling her in a christian school. You need to enroll a year or so in advance to make sure you get a place. I was kinda shocked because he's not a christian. He's been to interviews and stuff and I went to an interview yesterday. They're not worried about her not being from a christian home, the main thing her dad said was that they wanted to know that he'd be supportive of what they were teaching, helping with homework, and not teaching that the Bible was wrong. The other issue they had was that they had never had a child from a split family before and they weren't sure how that would work. That's why they wanted to see me too.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Staff

I think that the christian school we are hoping to send our kids to does interviews. I know that they use to.

Due to roll restrictions I know the school we are planning on sending have about 10 places for new entrants once siblings of present pupils (who have first preference).

I guess that an interview will help them to decide on which ten kids to take. We are hopefully that the fact we live nearby and attend the church that owns the school will work in favour.

SAHM to two school kids A ( 7) and R (5)
Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Staff

We have an interview tomorrow afternoon at the school we are hoping to to send our kids. It is for my husband, me and our son. My sister who went through it five years ago said don't stress about it. I like the thought of it being a two way meeting.

Just trying to explain what we are doing to my son, who already has decided that is where he is going as it is his cousins school.

SAHM to two school kids A ( 7) and R (5)
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Well I have good news - they don't require an interview for kindergarteners. WHEW! It's only for first grade and up, but I really think that mostly all kids are accepted - I mean, I noticed in their little magazine from last Spring that they list the new students and there were kids of all grades - even high school seniors that came during their second semester of their senior year.

Also they even have Hindu students I'm sooo glad they do NOT require the students to be Christians. (I've heard some require that you sign a form or somethign) My child will still have a chance to be a good influence and make friends with non-Christians, though obviously not as a much..........
Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM

In every school I was a principal at I required an interview. (They were all Christian schools.) I always felt it was important to have the parents in and let them know that the education of their child was a cooperative effort.

Some schools have specific charters or have chosen to operate in a specific way. These may require that at least one parent be a believing Christian. Typically a parent interview would include a brief part asking the parent to "share their testimony" to validate this requirement.

It is often very obvious when a parent is not willing to cooperate or is looking to "hire a service" and not want to work together with the school. As a parent in a good Christian school it is to your advantage to have your administration weed out these types of parents as they dominate the administrator and teacher's time. Our kids are too important to have their teachers chasing after unreasonable individual's demands.

Blog: http://colossians2.com
Promoting Thrift: http://thriftytimes.com
Cyber Safety Site: http://CyberSafetySeminar.com