Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > The Growing Family > Preschoolers and Elementary School Age

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 10:31 AM
CPF Senior Member

Lightbulb Tomboys

Ok so i have a four year old who is a bit of a tomboy .She hates dresses and skirts .Over the summer she would wear leggings or jeans but she would wear a dress for special occasions .

Well that has changed !She refuses to wear a dress or a skirt .I like them to wear a dress to Church but she point blank refused last sunday .

What should i do ? Should i leave her to it and not make her wear a dress or skirt anytime ?Anyone have girls like this ?

I know its not a big deal but i dont know what to dress her in for special occasions and Church .

Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Staff

I have a 7 year old daughter and she is somewhat of a tomboy too. But then again, so was I. My DD doesn't really like to wear dresses either and is much more comfortable in pants and a t-shirt. I don't force her to wear a dress to church, I don't even wear a dress to church. To me that is one of those battles that really don't matter. She may outgrow this and one day want to wear dresses, but if she doesn't, it doesn't bother me at all.

BTW: My "tomboy" loves to play with dolls though!

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." (Col. 3:12-13)
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM
CPF Senior Member

My tomboy likes dolls too lol

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Staff

I don't have a tomboy, but, I was one.

Proud Army Wife! Hooah!
Mom_of_3_blessings Army Strong- 08/04
DD we lovingly call her Mimi - 02/01
DS1 we lovingly call him Papote- 01/06
DS 2 we lovingly call Spanky - 09/11
My heart - 06/10 - Our 4 legged son

I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!

Men do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.

האל ספק שלי
Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Hospitality Team

Well, I have tomboys and we are a dresses/skirts only family. My oldest will ask to wear jeans often (we keep a couple pairs around for those not so modest in a dress tasks), but she no longer whines when we tell her no. I think she is the one who "fights" it the most because she didn't grow up that way. We changed just 2 1/2 years ago. Basically, if we as the parents tell them to wear a dress/skirt, then they do or they don't leave the house.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
CPF Senior Member

I was a bit of a tomboy and I still don't like wearing skirts or dresses. At my high school graduation I wore shorts under my dress if that helps you understand how much I hate them. When I was little dresses were the only choice for sundays and other special occasions. My only request is that you don't make her wear those disgusting pink lacy dresses that itch and are just stupid. My little girl likes dresses but there is no way I would put her in something like that. You probably have no idea what I'm on about but my mum got it in 4 sizes so that I wouldn't grow out of such a "lovely" dress. I hated it. I hate lace, I hate light pink, I hate dresses, I hate that dress.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 AM
CPF Senior Member

My mother was one of 11, 8 of whom were boys, and she grew up in the outback. VERY tomboyish. All three of us girls (myself and my sisters) were tomboys until late adolescence (around 16-20, between us all). I am only just starting to wear skirts and dresses myself. I don't think it's a big deal personally, but if it is to your family, you just have to decide what the standards are and stick with them.

We had to wear dresses to church when we were young, but by the time we were teens I don't think we were (different church, father didn't attend church with the family and generally we were a very different family with different standards by then)

Wife to Stephen since April 2007
Mother to Cassandra Grace since May 2008
Mother to Elisha James since January 2010
Mother to Josiah Edward since March 23rd, 2012

In certain things unity, in doubtful things liberty, in all things charity- St. Augustine

I blog over HERE
Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 AM
CPF Senior Member

Thanks guys

It isnt really a big deal i guess but what should i dress her in for church ?

I dont want to force her to wear something she is uncomfortable with ie .a dress or skirt .

I guess i will let my little tomboy be a tomboy

In some ways it is great as she loves been outside (even when it is cold !!) she climbs trees and walls and anything she can jump up on lol .I was like her too and i loved the country side .

Her sister is very girly and does not like mud or anything messy so she plays in the house more , i would perfer if she was a tomboy and just enjoyed playing in the garden and climbing trees , they can have so much fun outside .

Anyway back to the topic , maybe we can reach a compromise , she is such a cutie in her lovely dresses !!

P.s I promise no pink frilly dresses

Old 01-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliszabeth View Post
I was a bit of a tomboy and I still don't like wearing skirts or dresses. At my high school graduation I wore shorts under my dress if that helps you understand how much I hate them. When I was little dresses were the only choice for sundays and other special occasions. My only request is that you don't make her wear those disgusting pink lacy dresses that itch and are just stupid. My little girl likes dresses but there is no way I would put her in something like that. You probably have no idea what I'm on about but my mum got it in 4 sizes so that I wouldn't grow out of such a "lovely" dress. I hated it. I hate lace, I hate light pink, I hate dresses, I hate that dress.
Point taken! My daughter is 14 and VERY picky about what she wears. As long as its modest, I let her wear what she wants. I don't think it matters. We go to a church that is casual. I don't think anyone wears dresses, maybe a few of the older (than me ) ladies. I believe God sees our heart and our intentions. I agree, whatever your own family's convictions are is what you should do.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 AM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4kids View Post
Point taken! My daughter is 14 and VERY picky about what she wears. As long as its modest, I let her wear what she wants. I don't think it matters. We go to a church that is casual. I don't think anyone wears dresses, maybe a few of the older (than me ) ladies. I believe God sees our heart and our intentions. I agree, whatever your own family's convictions are is what you should do.
Ah my daughter is only 4 and she is fussy , cant wait for the tennage years its gonna be fun !!!