Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Health Watch > Caring for Aging Parents

Notices

Old 07-27-2017, 10:27 PM

Default My mother diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

Hello, new poster here

My mother (only 62 years old) was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma, which Senator McCain was recently diagnosed with. She underwent a craniotomy to remove the tumors, one the size of a quarter and one the size of a dime, from her optic nerve and has lost 50% of her vision.

I went to visit her 2 days after her surgery. After I left, she decided she was mad at me for 3 things that I said. 2 of the 3 things were completely fabricated and I apologized for the 3rd thing several times because I realized it was too soon and she seemed to accept my apology during the conversation. Now most people have said that it's possible that the brain surgery has affected her perception. However this has been her pattern ever since I was young child. She would either make up something or take something and blow it way out of proportion. But I just don't care at this juncture. She has stage 4 brain cancer and likely has months to a short amount of years to live.

I have been praying to the Lord that he gives me strength to put my pride aside and write a letter of apology to my mother. I guess I'm asking for suggestions on how to write this letter, and asking for prayers for my mother, her name is Joyce. She has 3 kids and 6 grand kids who love her dearly. My father, Thomas, who is not saved, is also having a difficult time dealing with this diagnosis and dealing with her irrational behavior. This irrational behavior is also part of a lifelong pattern, and not a result of the brain cancer or the medications. It's been very difficult on him.

If anyone has had difficulty dealing with parents with mental illness or terminal cancer, any comments or suggestions for books or websites would be welcome.

If you've taken the time to read this or comment, please know that I appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 AM
CPF Senior Member

Hi Dana,

I'm afraid I don't have any experience of the matters you have written about, nor do I have any specific suggestions. However, please be assured of my prayers, and thank you for sharing your situation with us.

God bless, Brian