Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Health Watch > Getting In Shape

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by crislem View Post
It was a Bayer brand product. Mixed a few ounces with 1 gallon of water and poured it by the tree.
Bayer makes aspirin..i wonder if it has some in it.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM
CPF Senior Member

I know about the aspirin, that surprised me too when I saw the bottle. This was something made for fruit trees. I didn't look at ingredients, nor investigate to see if it's a different Bayer.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Leader

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 02-21-2017, 01:38 PM
CPF Senior Member

Just come across this old post from 2011, but I found it very interesting reading through.

The "official" advice from the UK Government is that we should all try to eat at least 5 portions of fresh fruit or veg every day for a healthy lifestyle. "Have you had your 5-a-day?" is quite a popular saying here.

Its of special interest to me because, as some of you will know from my posts last year, I have had some health problems stemming from a blood-clot which lodged in my left eye.

As a result of this, I have had to severely cut down on fatty foods - far less cheese, chips, and chocolate these days! In their place I have been trying to eat more healthy foods - fresh vegetables, fruit, salads. etc.

The people at church have been wonderfully kind. We always have tea and coffee after the service, and used to have cake and biscuits to go with it. Since my illness, people have been bringing along a selection of fresh fruit every Sunday as a "healthy alternative" for my benefit initially, but also to encourage others to eat healthily.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Staff

5 plus a day is the campaign here, along with eating fruit/vegetable of different colours.

At this time of the year fruit is plentiful and realitively cheap here in NZ.

I have just pick another 5kg of plums off our tree. Yesterday I bottled about 5 kg. While not as healthy as fresh plums as there is some sugar in it. Thgey will be great for breakfast in the middle of winter.

I am also dehydrating apricots at present. I managed to get 4 kg for $12 which is cheap for here but they are ripening quicker than we can eat them.

My kids normally have 2 pieces of fruit in their lunches for school and then will often have at least one if not 2 servings of fruit at afternoon tea time. On the days like today when they have to have afternoon tea in the car I make a simple smoothies. For my son Banana and milk and my daughter, berries and yogurt. I got some jam berries recently from a berry farm so I have frozen these ready for smoothies.

Question for you: Here in NZ if its in season fruit or vegetable then what is in the shop is NZ grown. So at present unless its tropical fruit it will be NZ grown. Is most of the in seaon fruit in your supermarkets locally grown?

Also does local grown matter to you?

Cheers, I had better go make those smoothies as its nearly school pick up time.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Hospitality Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post

Question for you: Here in NZ if its in season fruit or vegetable then what is in the shop is NZ grown. So at present unless its tropical fruit it will be NZ grown. Is most of the in seaon fruit in your supermarkets locally grown?

Also does local grown matter to you?
Our stores carry all fruit and veggies regardless of season, but I prefer to buy what is in season because not only is it cheaper, but I like buying locally if possible.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:37 PM
CPF Senior Member

Its interesting that I picked-up this old thread this week, because today on the BBC news they were saying that some recent research carried out by Imperial College London has indicated that 10 portions of fruit or veg per day can significantly improve resistance to heart disease and some cancers, and this obviously has potential to improve life expectancy.

Regarding your enquiry about home-grown produce, Kathryn, our supermarkets do carry quite a lot of local stuff in season, but the UK climate is not altogether conducive to fruit growing, so of necessity we have to import much of our requirement from abroad. Also, because we have a large population living on a small island, we have always had to import large amounts of food just to feed the population. For example, in our shops we have large amounts of butter and lamb from NZ.

At this time of year (it is still winter here) a lot of our fruit comes from more southerly climes. My particular favourite is strawberries: in season we can buy our own home-grown examples, but once the season is over, we start to import them first from Holland, then Spain then finally North Africa - usually Morocco or Egypt - until the home season comes round again.

In the last few weeks, there have been reports of shortages of some items (lettuces for example) because at this time of year we import these from southern Europe, and they have been experiencing unusually harsh winter weather in Spain, which has affected our supplies.

My preference is always to buy home grown, and even locally-grown stuff wherever possible, but our situation in the UK makes this difficult much of the time.

In our garden at home we have an apple tree and a pear tree, and I also grow strawberries, but I'm thinking about planting some fruit bushes also to increase the "home grown" quota.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:06 AM

Every person's body and chemistry is different so unfortunately there is no one right or wrong answer to your question.

If you see where fruit is located on the food pyramid, it's easy to understand that fruit is not a food to be consumed in large quantity throughout the day, but in limited quantities. Much of that is because of the sugar content found in fruits, especially the ones that are high glycemic and contain high amounts of glucose.

A safe rule of thumb is to eat fruit with a protein, as the protein will buffer the quick absorption of sugar into the blood stream, therefore preventing a quick high spike in blood sugar.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:39 PM
CPF Senior Member

I try to have my kids eat 2 fruit a day, but I unfortunately don't really eat any I like some kinds.
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD 1 year
Mommy to two labradors