Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Health Watch > Adult Health Concerns

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 05:25 PM
CPF Senior Member

Default Health Scare

Had a health scare myself a couple of weeks ago. I suddenly lost partial sight in my left eye, so made an appointment with my optician. She carried out the standard tests with her instruments, but couldn't find anything wrong. Clearly there was something wrong, so she sent me to the eye hospital, with a request for an emergency appointment. The eye doctor carried out a thorough examination of my eyes, and then told me "there is good news and bad news". The bad news is that you have a blood clot behind your left eye. The good news is that it is behind your eye and not in your brain, otherwise you would have had a stroke.

He then sent me over to A&E (Accident and Emergency), where they tested me every-which-way - blood tests, blood pressure, ECG on my heart, MRI brain scan (to check there was no bleeding in the brain), and finally a scan on my neck to check that there were no blockages in the arteries feeding my brain/head. They kept me in hospital overnight, and wired me up to an automatic monitor which checked my blood pressure every hour throughout the night, even when I was asleep, and gave a read-out in the morning.

Happily, they couldn't find anything wrong with me apart from the blood clot, so sent me home rejoicing with some blood-thinning tablets. I have a follow-up appointment at the hospital tomorrow.

However, I have instituted some lifestyle changes. Because I have vegetarian tastes and do not eat meat, I tend to over-compensate on cheese - cheese sandwiches, toasted cheese, pizza etc. Too much cheese (not to mentions chocolate!), and too little exercise, I guess. So, I have cut out cheese and chocolate completely for the time being, and am trying to major on fruit and fresh vegetables, as well as taking more exercise.

I'll keep you posted on progress.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Staff

Lightbulb

Oh, happy to hear of this was nothing serious. May the Lord give you help and grace to make those lifestyle changes.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:03 PM
CPF Senior Member

wow glad all was okay!
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD 1 year
Mommy to two labradors

Old 09-14-2016, 04:26 PM
CPF Senior Member

Thank you both for your kind comments. I went back to the hospital for my follow-up appointment last Saturday, and the eye doctor seemed quite pleased with progress. He doesn't want to see me again for 6 weeks, which I take to be a good sign. He also said it is OK for me to drive again - which is a great relief.

Thank you for your prayers and good wishes.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Hospitality Team

Glad to hear that it wasn't more serious and that it is getting better!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 PM
CPF Senior Member

Thanks MM for your kind comment. Hope all is well with you.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:54 PM
CPF Senior Member

Just thought I would give you an update. I have now been discharged from both the eye clinic and the stroke clinic. I went back to the optician yesterday to have my eyes re-tested, and she told me that the vision in my left eye (the one which had the blood clot) is now actually slightly better than before the problem arose! I have full 20-20 vision, and have been able to order a new set of spectacles with my updated prescription.

Thank you all sincerely for your prayers and support.

Brian
Old 06-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Hospitality Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingfaith View Post
Just thought I would give you an update. I have now been discharged from both the eye clinic and the stroke clinic. I went back to the optician yesterday to have my eyes re-tested, and she told me that the vision in my left eye (the one which had the blood clot) is now actually slightly better than before the problem arose! I have full 20-20 vision, and have been able to order a new set of spectacles with my updated prescription.

Thank you all sincerely for your prayers and support.

Brian
Glad to hear you are doing well!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:34 PM
CPF Senior Member

Thank you MM for your kind good wishes. I'm feeling pretty good now, and my eyesight is almost back to normal, but I do have to be a bit careful with my diet.