Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Christian Growth > The Bible

Notices

Old 03-06-2017, 10:05 PM

Default Who is Doing the Forgiving

Who in the world are those involved in religion asking for forgiveness? From God! Therefore the assumption is, Godís not reconciled when they sin. In their mind they are separating themselves from God by their sin. Justification...Redemption...Propitiation...Remiss ion...and Forbearance...all terms God wants people to acknowledge, to become familiar with, and to come to fully appreciate. Never make the mistake of thinking that these terms all mean the same thing. They do not. Each one has a distinct meaning all its own. Oftentimes, people will look at these terms and sort of lump them all together under a heading called forgiveness. 

To many people are trying to Christianize the flesh. One should never drive the train from emotions, but there are denominations living in the caboose, driving the train from the emotion standpoint, not living it from the doctrinal standpoint. But think about this: Is forgiveness the same thing as being justified or having someone elseís righteousness freely attributed to their account? They are not one and the same. The human raceís sins have all been forgiven, but forgiveness alone does not mean the person having forgiveness is as perfectly and totally righteous as the one who is doing the forgiving.
2 Timothy 2:15, approved where? At the Judgement Seat of the Savior. A workman worthy of Godís praise rightly dividing the word of truth.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 AM
CPF Senior Member

Its interesting for me that you have touched on this subject of forgiveness, because our Minister is leading us through a series of sermons on the subject of forgiveness, as our Lenten studies for this year.

Its a big subject, and one to which we perhaps do not usually give adequate attention. Jesus placed great emphasis on the importance of forgiveness, and I think it is a good subject to study in the run-up to Easter, as we again contemplate the greatest act of forgiveness there has ever been.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingfaith View Post
Its interesting for me that you have touched on this subject of forgiveness, because our Minister is leading us through a series of sermons on the subject of forgiveness, as our Lenten studies for this year.

Its a big subject, and one to which we perhaps do not usually give adequate attention. Jesus placed great emphasis on the importance of forgiveness, and I think it is a good subject to study in the run-up to Easter, as we again contemplate the greatest act of forgiveness there has ever been.
The only reason God could say through Paul, ďGrace and Peace be unto youĒ is because his son fully paid the price. Itís not probation, itís salvation. If God says Iíve reconciled you to me because Iíve taken all your sins before you were born...I could see every sin you would ever commit past, present, future. I took all those sins off of you before you were born, I put them on my son. Now Iíve told Paul to tell people about it. Now, Iíve made you people ambassadors of it. Get out and be ambassadors. Tell people God is not counting their sins against them. They have the opportunity. They have the responsibility of making a decision. I will believe it or I will reject it. Godís given them that choice. Love doesnít force it self. There are many who will spend an eternity apart from the Savior because they refuse to accept what Jesus did on their behalf.

Romans 13:9, manís relationship to man...manís relationship to God. Which category is missing in that listing? Manís relationship to God is not included there. Why do you suppose Paul left that part out? The simple answer it this, God was demonstrating to Israel through the law that she could never achieve a righteous standing before him according to a performance contract. She could never merit a relationship with God based upon her own performance. That would be totally impossible. Is God dealing with believers today according to a law contract? No way, not according to our apostle. Thatís why Paul leaves out that category of the law that dealt with manís relationship with God. Paul boiled it down to one word, agape (Romans 13:8) because Romans chapters 1-8 tells us how it is that we are considered righteous in the eyes of God today. There is no scale in Godís mind other than the Saviorís righteousness.
2 Timothy 2:15, approved where? At the Judgement Seat of the Savior. A workman worthy of Godís praise rightly dividing the word of truth.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:34 PM

Default Forgiveness

What might be causing some confusion is that there are what could be considered two sorts of forgiveness. There is the judicial forgiveness that is concerned with salvation and the payment for the debt of sin.

There is what might be called relational forgiveness that is what is described in 1 John.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Here the word ďconfessĒ is homo-logos which might be translates ďsame-wordsĒ. This gives the idea that our relationship with God can be restored (un-blocked) if we are able to describe our sins the same way he would. This is by way of bringing ourselves into alignment with truth.

An example of this might be a Christian businessman who has been slowly changing his business practices so that he is increasingly taking advantage of his customers. He might (like Saul or Solomon) not even detect that he has drifted away from his Lord. If upon seeing that he has allowed the flesh to become a wedge between him and Jesus, he repents and is able to ďconfessĒ his sin, he is brought more into alignment with truth and can return to a closer relationship.

This also bears on humility which is the natural result of understanding some of the truth of who God is and who we are. As we grow in humility, we do not gain grace as a reward for achievement, we gain more grace because we are more able to receive it.

James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.