Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Life At Home > Technology Help Desk

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Staff

Question PC Cleanup

Do you use Geek Squad, Staples, or any other company to do a PC clean up? My laptop has been running really slowly and doing all sorts of goofy things. I'm not "techie" at all and I don't like DIY computer cleanups. I would love to hear any recommendations of businesses you've used.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:38 PM

Hi Vanna,

I'm not a techie either, but hubby is, and here's what I've gleaned from hanging around him! For laptops, you can try the following at home:

(1) make sure you have a current reputable anti-virus program and scan the whole computer; if there are any viruses or spy-ware - get it removed!

(2) remove any unused, unnecessary programs. Every little itty-bitty application takes up space and potentially slows things down. De-clutter!

(3) Archive old photos and music files onto an external drive. Back up files by making CD/DVDs.

(4) Make sure you are turning your computer off regularly (not just letting it go to "sleep" or "hibernate") - it needs it's rest and a fresh boot-up every day to clear it's cache! (also check that it isn't dusty around keyboard and fan - it needs to stay well-ventilated; if needed, use hairdryer on a cold setting to blast out dust bunnies.)

(5) And it those steps don't help, you can consider (a) increasing RAM memory (if your laptop has space for more memory capacity), or (b) do a "fresh install" of your operating system. This is more "invasive" - it means backing up everything that's important to you, then wiping your computer clean and starting over so that it's back to factory default settings. This takes time (i.e. a few hours) and some knowledge, but you don't need big bucks to do it. You could probably search craigslist for someone local who services computers on the side, to do it for you. Maybe even someone from church.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Leader

i agree with the previous poster!

archiving your files on a separate USB drive or disc really cleans up some hard drive space. once you've made sure that the files were transferred to the disc/usb drive, then delete them from the hard drive.

i had the same problem with my laptop, and i did all that, ran scans, etc. but it still ran slow and was doing strange things. i really thought i had a virus.

i took it to Staples for a clean up. turns out i didn't have a virus, i just needed to upgrade my memory.

the new cards w/install cost me $80!! but my laptop is running sweet now!
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 03-12-2010, 05:39 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanna View Post
Do you use Geek Squad, Staples, or any other company to do a PC clean up? My laptop has been running really slowly and doing all sorts of goofy things. I'm not "techie" at all and I don't like DIY computer cleanups. I would love to hear any recommendations of businesses you've used.
So Funny you posted this today ,my computer went completely on me on tuesday , it would turn it self on but that was it , it was soooo slow .

I has arranged to have a guy fix it after college tomorrow and i have no idea how much that would have cost !!!!

Make sure you have no threats on your computer , i thought it was just a virus that could effect it but i had a threat which i kept ignorning and then today i decided to scan it , it took 3 hours but my laptop is working perfect again

I use Microsoft essentials which you can download
Old 03-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Staff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parousia View Post
Hi Vanna,

I'm not a techie either, but hubby is, and here's what I've gleaned from hanging around him! For laptops, you can try the following at home:

(1) make sure you have a current reputable anti-virus program and scan the whole computer; if there are any viruses or spy-ware - get it removed!

(2) remove any unused, unnecessary programs. Every little itty-bitty application takes up space and potentially slows things down. De-clutter!

(3) Archive old photos and music files onto an external drive. Back up files by making CD/DVDs.

(4) Make sure you are turning your computer off regularly (not just letting it go to "sleep" or "hibernate") - it needs it's rest and a fresh boot-up every day to clear it's cache! (also check that it isn't dusty around keyboard and fan - it needs to stay well-ventilated; if needed, use hairdryer on a cold setting to blast out dust bunnies.)

(5) And it those steps don't help, you can consider (a) increasing RAM memory (if your laptop has space for more memory capacity), or (b) do a "fresh install" of your operating system. This is more "invasive" - it means backing up everything that's important to you, then wiping your computer clean and starting over so that it's back to factory default settings. This takes time (i.e. a few hours) and some knowledge, but you don't need big bucks to do it. You could probably search craigslist for someone local who services computers on the side, to do it for you. Maybe even someone from church.

Hope this helps!
Yes, this does! It reminded esp. to copy some of these pics and videos I have on my computer to a CD (and I keep forgetting to pick some up at Staples). Thanks so much, Parousia and all!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Admin

I'd second all of these, especially the reboot thing. It can do miracles.

There are bunch of good quality "cleanup" programs that are designed to make things run more smoothly. Most of the good antivirus programs these days are pretty good at taking care of spyware, but there are free programs that can be worth running like CrapCleaner and Advanced System Care that can really help keep things humming as well. Don't forget also to set your system to auto defrag. That's another "behind the scenes" thing you can set up to help things keep moving.

Hope the ideas help.

Tom

Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Staff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS33 View Post
I'd second all of these, especially the reboot thing. It can do miracles.

There are bunch of good quality "cleanup" programs that are designed to make things run more smoothly. Most of the good antivirus programs these days are pretty good at taking care of spyware, but there are free programs that can be worth running like CrapCleaner and Advanced System Care that can really help keep things humming as well. Don't forget also to set your system to auto defrag. That's another "behind the scenes" thing you can set up to help things keep moving.

Hope the ideas help.

Tom

All good ideas, but somewhat "new" to me. I don't know how to set my system to auto-defrag.

I did bring my laptop to Staples and they did the free "clean up" but my most pressing issue has yet to be resolved (mostly b/c it depends on me and well, to be honest, I'd rather be chatting on CPF than take the time to fix it). So here it is: I have a Gmail acct, but for the past 2 months I've had to keep it on "basic HTML" because the Standard (full graphics) view won't load. I get messages like "Loading" and "Still Working" and "chat" never loads and it's laborious to open or mark emails. The tech at Staples told me to download the latest Java and if that doesn't work try downloading Direct X.

Okay, I tried downloading the "latest" Java (I had no idea what I was doing). It didn't work. It's like asking the girl who's only made toast to make Thanksgiving Dinner! Since I just got my computer back yesterday evening, I have yet to try the Direct X approach.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. If you have anymore for this "toast girl" let me know.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Hospitality Team

My suggestion is to find someone you know who would be willing to help you out! I have a friend who I used to work with when I was a teacher who is the computer teacher and he is always willing to fix my computer for me. I wanted to pay him for this last time because my computer had completely crashed and it was a lot of work to get it up and running, but he wouldn't let me. Instead, I gave him a loaf of my fresh baked bread, some cookies, and some butterscotch bars. He was very appreciative!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Staff

Lightbulb

Oh, that's right. Your computer completely crashed just recently. Did this friend fix it?

Thanks for the suggestion of getting a friend to help. Hmmm, I'll just have to think of what I could "butter them up with" b/c I don't make bread (cookies, though, I make cookies ).
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Staff

I am thankful that my DH is somewhat of a "computer geek". He fixes most of our computer problems, and with the kids on it more and more lately, it needs "fixed" more often. I caught my 6 yr old DS downloading something the other day!!

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." (Col. 3:12-13)