Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > The Growing Family > Preschoolers and Elementary School Age

Notices

Old 02-01-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Ideal TV time?

I'm a Filipino (by citizenship) who married a Chinese girl and is currently working in China. I wanted my kids to have a good command in English so I tried to watch "Peppa Pig" (in English) as method of helping my child (3+ years old) learn English (the other one is still too small).

It actually worked but it seems my son would use the lines in that TV series to talk to me even though the line he is saying is not actually related to our conversation. I felt at times he's trying to distract me as he usually use that when I'm trying to say something important or trying to discipline him

I'm also aware that children tend to mix reality and fantasy (TV). I'm also aware that even well designed TV shows such as Peppa Pig are still far from perfect.

How much TV time do you think is idea for children given that I'm also using it as a teaching medium not just a diversion for him to do when I need to do something.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 AM

That's a tough question. We only allow our children to watch TV on the weekend, and then only for 1-2 hours.

Really not sure about using them for language tuition. I wonder if Wildlife documentaries might be good for that?! Things like Planet Earth.

Sorry this isn't more helpful but I just wanted to connect. I'm thinking out loud really!