Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Christian Growth > The Bible

Notices

Old 11-22-2017, 01:29 PM
CPF Senior Member

Default Reading the Bible

I have been quite well aware of the Bible and much of its content for most of my life, but I have to confess that I have never actually read the whole of it. Now, at the age of 75, I am planning to put that right. I am aiming to read the whole of the Bible, from cover to cover, but not altogether in the order in which it appears. I intend, as far as possible, to alternate between the Old and New Testaments. I started a few days ago, and have just completed the Book of Genesis. I am now switching to the New Testament, and starting on St Matthews Gospel.

Would anyone care to accompany me on the journey?
Old 11-22-2017, 01:33 PM
CPF Senior Member

How wonderful!

I write out the Bible and usually alternate between the Old & New Testaments. Right now I'm in Romans. It's a slow process because it not only takes forever, but I'm often interrupted and can only do a little at a time. I figure it's not really a race and God knows my intentions. I've done several books in years past, but have forgotten a lot of it...so I guess I'll just keep going repeating books as necessary
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD 1 year
Mommy to two labradors

Old 11-24-2017, 07:58 AM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily445455 View Post
How wonderful!

I write out the Bible and usually alternate between the Old & New Testaments. Right now I'm in Romans. It's a slow process because it not only takes forever, but I'm often interrupted and can only do a little at a time. I figure it's not really a race and God knows my intentions. I've done several books in years past, but have forgotten a lot of it...so I guess I'll just keep going repeating books as necessary
Hi Emily,

Thanks for your kind comments and encouragement. When you say you "write out the Bible", do you mean that you copy it out word for word, so that you have your own hand-written copy? Is this to help you memorise it? If so, it sounds like a huge task, but I'm sure there is value in it. How long have you been doing this for?
Old 11-24-2017, 01:56 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingfaith View Post
Hi Emily,

Thanks for your kind comments and encouragement. When you say you "write out the Bible", do you mean that you copy it out word for word, so that you have your own hand-written copy? Is this to help you memorise it? If so, it sounds like a huge task, but I'm sure there is value in it. How long have you been doing this for?
Yes, hand written word for word. It doesn't help with memorization, unfortunately, wish it did! It's based on kings of the OT being told to make their own hand written copies of the Scriptures. I've been doing it on and off for probably 10-11 yrs, sometimes more off than on because babies and little kids make it difficult to keep up with it. Overall it's pretty nice, and it is nice having my own copies, wherever they are lol!
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD 1 year
Mommy to two labradors

Old 11-25-2017, 05:08 PM
CPF Senior Member

Emily, that's amazing. I wish i had your fortitude!

As it is, I'm making gradual progress in my plan to read the whole Bible. I'm currently half way through Matthew's gospel, and then I will return to the Old Testament to read through Exodus.

Perhaps we can compare notes from time to time?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:29 PM

Emily, That is a grand task and worth pursuing. I have a few friends who do the same in Africa and then have the copies of the Bible leather bound. They then pass it on to their children and grandchildren.
Stay the course!