Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Health Watch > Kids Health Concerns

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Default My three yr old and eating.

So here is the story with my daughter. Here recently her eating habits have went from gimmie gimmie gimmie to i dont want anything but junk. She used to (3 weeks ago) eat veggies and meat and anything we gave her. Now its she never wants anything. I have talked enforced yelled begged bribed and punished. Nothing is working....... I am starting to freak out major.

Last night her stomach swelled huge and got tight. We took her to the er, and got her registered. Before we saw the doc she had three monstrous farts and her stomach went down. We had all kinds of people in prayer and I believed God delivered her from that. But why would it happen? Her stomach was huge for about 2 hrs...

I am trying to put all faith in the Lord but I feel like im at a breaking point. Any thoughts?

BTW, I typed all this on my phone so pardon any weird spelling.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Staff

Lightbulb

Hey Dad,
Sorry to hear about your situation. The trip to the ER sounds frightening.

Unfortunately, children will use food to "control" their parents, esp. in refusing to eat.

When it comes to meals, I prefer to start the little ones out with just a "taste" (maybe a teaspoon size of each food item). They had to eat the taste. I think children can be overwhelmed by large amounts of food put in front of them.

I don't think it's good to have to beg, plead with, bribe, or make empty threats to get children to eat. I'm not saying what you did was wrong, I just don't think it's the best way to get them to eat because while you're begging and bribing, the child is in control; she's making the decision about whether she is going to eat or not.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Well ill certainly say I dont think it was the best decision either. I am ashamed in myself honestly. I feel like I am losing control of my three year old. Dont get me wrong, shes a well mannered little girl, shes just showing out at the dinner table.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
CPF Senior Member

My 3 year old is a pretty picky eater. I really don't worry too much about it. I give him food, he can either eat it or wait until the next meal (we do a breakfast, sometimes snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack type thing). He's a healthy weight, is happy, plays, etc.
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD 1 year
Mommy to two labradors

Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 AM

Little kids are in control of very little in their life. If and when they eat, and if and when they use the toilet are two of the few areas where they can assert control.
Engaging in battles over food will only prolong the problem. Dump-- or hide-- all of the junk food in the house, then offer only very healthy meals and snacks. Your three year old will not starve herself, she will eat when she gets hungry enough. Don't let your child control what they are offered, but do make sure there is something on the plate you know they will like. Give a choice for snack between 2 or 3 healthy items. Let them help prepare meals. If only healthy food is available, you can feel good about whatever she does eat. In my experience, the problem improves greatly within a couple weeks.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:21 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
but do make sure there is something on the plate you know they will like. Give a choice for snack between 2 or 3 healthy items. Let them help prepare meals. If only healthy food is available, you can feel good about whatever she does eat.
I do these things as well.
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD 1 year
Mommy to two labradors

Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Staff

I have a theory that almost all preschoolers go through the fussy eater phase based on my observation.

I would agree with all the above comments and try to not let it stress you I know it is hard.

Is it all meals or just one? I have discovered that with my daughter( now five) she wont eat if she is tired so at present while she adjusts to being at school I feed her at 5pm.

Also given the experience at the hospital it may pay to check that there is no medical reasons.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 PM

She ate pizza tonight! Praise the Lord!
Old 10-14-2017, 04:25 PM

I think one easy approach may be to monitor the foods you put in your grocery cart and have only healthy options available at home for your child. A child usually develops picky eating habits because the parent is so frantic to make sure the child doesn't starve, that they are willing to watch the child eat anything, therefore creating "options" for the child just to make sure they eat.

I personaly believe a child will never starve themselves, and when consistently given all good choices, they will succumb to family rules and eat like everyone else. This practice will help shape their view on family, health, self discipline, and obedience later on down the road. What they learn today will reflect their outlook on life later.

Sure hope she is ok from that one hospital episode!