Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Christian Growth > Christianity 101

Notices

Old 08-24-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Intimacy and the Worship of God

Click the image to open in full size.

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. - Psalm 42:1

Julian of Norwich was a medieval follower of Christ. In a day of darkness where form so easily took over any sense of believers intimacy with Christ, she wrote a classic volume on knowing God's love. A quote from her writing says, "God, of thy goodness, give me Thyself; for Thou art enough for me." She came to the experience the wonderful way of seeking God alone for only Himself. She understood that in intimacy with God she found life and peace itself. This again is the heart and core of worship and secret to a life of fullness and fruitfulness.

Recently when re-reading the book of Revelation, I saw again the wonderful picture of what our end goal is in Christian life. St. John recounts the majestic picture for us, "Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne" (Revelation 5:6). The thought that struck me was that Christian life itself, its purpose, goal and meaning comes down to this one thing: "The wounded Lamb." This is the centerpiece of the heavenly throne room, the living Christ, the resurrected Christ. He is the one we see and the Throne of God where the heavenly Father sits. Oh what glories are at His right hand. This, dear believer, is our goal and our ultimate purpose, to know this God, this "Lamb." To find our satisifaction in Him alone. The entirety of heaven revolves around the person of God and should not our earthly lives be the same?

As Enoch walked with God (Genesis 5:22), we also should desire that inner life of fellowship with God. God had always sought for fellowship with man and intimacy even when Adam and Eve sinned (Genesis 3:8). The wonderful truth for us today is that God can be found and known. This can happen for us in any walk of life, in any situatiion, whether a dungeon cell or in the most beautiful Church sanctuary. God not only desires but allows Himself to be found by us. This finding of God can happen in the quiet contemplation of a cell or the in busyness of life. Yet it is too easy to miss Him and find ourselves filling life with even times of christian songs, bible readings and even prayer. God is missed in these things because He is not sought for but only treated as an end for our own means. We can sadly seek God to appease our guilty conscience alone, ask for temporal help and blessings, attend Church simply to check it off on our list of moral things to do. This is the picture of coming to a stream as the Psalmist potrays but then not being willing to drink of its goodness. A parched dry tongue, not willing to refresh itself in the very person of God who can only satisfy the longing of the soul.

Christian life always begins this way, when we see the great sacrifice of the cross of Christ, the wounded Lamb. We fall on our faces in worship in thankfulness for His love towards us. Daily we cannot help but praise and thank God, not because we have to but because of experiencing His love and person. But sadly as life passes along, days become weeks and months become years. We are prone to wander from the place of intimacy, of worship, of seeking God alone. Perhaps this is a reminder for you or perhaps today this is God calling back to you saying, "My son, my daughter, come back to Me. Spend time with Me. I have longed for your fellowship and adoration." Then again our eyes will brim with tears and our hearts will fill with love for the One that we will eternally be praising around the very throne of God.

Greg Gordon

SermonIndex Audio Sermons