Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > The Growing Family > Connecting with Preteens and Teens

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Leader

Default Drivers Ed.

My dd has the driving part of Drivers Ed. this week.
Sooooo.... all she has to do is drive for 4 days and she can get her permit.

I am not ready for this. Riding with my 15 dd . Problem is - when we go out, I have all of my children with me. I don't think my FAITH is strong enough to allow my dd to drive us all on our errands etc... so I will have to make time for just the two of us to drive.

We got the Dr. Ed part over with mainly because I think they are going to start charging a fee to take it. I've heard in some states its an outrageous fee and a long waiting list.
Right now its free and we are getting it over with. Anyway, she may not get her license till she HAS to. College or a job. Teenage drivers insurance is sooo high. Why get the license till its needed right?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Leader

this scares me too! of course, my oldest has another 7 years before he gets his!
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Hospitality Team

I've thought about it but quickly try to dismiss it. Dara will be taking drivers ed in just 4-5 years and we all know how fast that will go. I'm nervous because she is always running into things with the lawnmower and snowmobiles.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 PM

From experience - some kids are great at driving and some outright STINK! Honestly, those that were good in sports were good driving, those that were not good at sports had a longer learning curve with driving.

We took all our kids out to a large vacant parking lot. Find the biggest church in town and drive around for an hour. I used to bring a book, sit in the passenger seat and had them drive, drive, drive.

Then we would take just them and one parent to a "safe" neighborhood. There we would allow them to "drive" on the roads. If a car came we had them pull over and stop until they were comfortable to keep driving.

If they did not obey some basic commands, they did not drive for a week!

BTW, we always "drilled" them with safety rules. EVERY TIME I saw a child I would say "What are all children?" and they would repeat - "All children are stupid." Then I would say "What does that mean?" and they would say "Never trust a child, always look out for them!"

We lectured and lectured - about problems in the rain, about aggressive drivers, on how late is better than sorry and so on.

May God bless you during this time. The car is a real step of freedom. Scary for us parents.

Blog: http://colossians2.com
Promoting Reading for Boys: http://boysread.club
Cyber Safety Site: http://CyberSafetySeminar.com
Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
From experience - some kids are great at driving and some outright STINK! Honestly, those that were good in sports were good driving, those that were not good at sports had a longer learning curve with driving.

We took all our kids out to a large vacant parking lot. Find the biggest church in town and drive around for an hour. I used to bring a book, sit in the passenger seat and had them drive, drive, drive.

Then we would take just them and one parent to a "safe" neighborhood. There we would allow them to "drive" on the roads. If a car came we had them pull over and stop until they were comfortable to keep driving.

If they did not obey some basic commands, they did not drive for a week!

BTW, we always "drilled" them with safety rules. EVERY TIME I saw a child I would say "What are all children?" and they would repeat - "All children are stupid." Then I would say "What does that mean?" and they would say "Never trust a child, always look out for them!"

We lectured and lectured - about problems in the rain, about aggressive drivers, on how late is better than sorry and so on.

May God bless you during this time. The car is a real step of freedom. Scary for us parents.
Mark, you and your wife are awesome!

I want nothing to do w/my kids' driver's ed. -- the whole prospect frightens the living daylights outta me (but I did not learn to drive/get my license till I was 27y.o.).

Sherry, don't insurance companies just factor in your teenager w/ the insurance whether they are driving or not? (That's what I heard -- hmph! Not looking forward to that either.)
Old 09-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Leader

My sons insurance is about 120 dollars a month. It goes down some when he has been driving a year which will be in Dec. He's paying it right now but in the beginning we paid it.
Our Ins. person said if he should get a ticket during the first year of driving he might as well cut his drivers license up because the Ins. will sky rocket. He has been very careful and all is well so far
One reason he didn't get his license until he started early college is because we didn't feel it worth paying ins. if he wasn't' in college or working yet. He was 17 and 1/2 when he got them.
Homeschooling, he really didn't need a license yet. We will do the same for my 15 year old. She will practice with us (with her permit) until she NEEDS her license.

I LOVE LOVE that Mark said Children are stupid. That made my day!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4kids View Post

I LOVE LOVE that Mark said Children are stupid. That made my day!!!
That was great!

Proud Army Wife! Hooah!
Mom_of_3_blessings Army Strong- 08/04
DD we lovingly call her Mimi - 02/01
DS1 we lovingly call him Papote- 01/06
DS 2 we lovingly call Spanky - 09/11
My heart - 06/10 - Our 4 legged son

I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!

Men do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.

האל ספק שלי
Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 PM

My oldest son is in drivers ed as well, he turns sixteen in a month

My daughter, who's seventeen, got her license on her 16th birthday (and, since she's 'daddy's girl' my husband insisted on buying her a car ). My son will probably follow suit. It's definitely scary at first but it gets easier.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:02 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4kids View Post
My dd has the driving part of Drivers Ed. this week.
Sooooo.... all she has to do is drive for 4 days and she can get her permit.

I am not ready for this. Riding with my 15 dd . Problem is - when we go out, I have all of my children with me. I don't think my FAITH is strong enough to allow my dd to drive us all on our errands etc... so I will have to make time for just the two of us to drive.

We got the Dr. Ed part over with mainly because I think they are going to start charging a fee to take it. I've heard in some states its an outrageous fee and a long waiting list.
Right now its free and we are getting it over with. Anyway, she may not get her license till she HAS to. College or a job. Teenage drivers insurance is sooo high. Why get the license till its needed right?
I've just come across this old post from 2011, which I found very interesting. Are young people allowed to drive a car at age 15 in the States?

In the UK the minimum age for driving a car is 17. intending drivers have to pass a theory test (done on a computerised programme), and then a practical driving test in the vehicle.

Insurance premiums are very high here also for young drivers. The insurance companies say that the factor which most regularly contributes to motoring accidents is the age of the driver. Premiums stay high until the driver reaches age 25.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:11 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingfaith View Post
I've just come across this old post from 2011, which I found very interesting. Are young people allowed to drive a car at age 15 in the States?

In the UK the minimum age for driving a car is 17. intending drivers have to pass a theory test (done on a computerised programme), and then a practical driving test in the vehicle.

Insurance premiums are very high here also for young drivers. The insurance companies say that the factor which most regularly contributes to motoring accidents is the age of the driver. Premiums stay high until the driver reaches age 25.
15.5 then they can get their driver's license at 16!! It's very young!
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD 1 year
Mommy to two labradors