Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Raising Christian Children > Sports

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM
CPF Senior Member

DH says that the best way to learn is on a slight hill. The momentum makes it easier to focus on balancing. When you are pedaling on a flat surface, it's harder to get going, and while you are getting going is the hardest time to balance, but going downhill, you're already going, so it's easier to balance. That's how he's teaching DS, and he's doing pretty well. They haven't practiced very much yet this spring, but he is improving every time they go out. I think with a few more solid hours of practice he'll be riding by himself.
My other blessings are:
DS1, 11 years, 6th grade. DD2, 8 years, 3rd grade. DD2, 5 years, K5. DS2, 3 years. DS3, 14 weeks.
Click here to read my blog. I haven't posted recently, but maybe something I've written will bless your heart. Someday I hope to write again.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 PM

..... Balance bikes may *possibly* be helpful...... They are like bikes (with no training wheels) with no pedals.

I remember myself when I first learned to ride a bike, with training wheels, and then my father took them off while he ran alongside me to make sure I kept my balance. It took me a long time, lots of practice before I was able to ride independently. So I was expecting the same thing for my son.

He was 3 1/2 when he started riding a bike with training wheels. Several months before he turned 5, the preschool he attended bought some balance bikes for the children to ride at the preschool. Then several months after he turned 5, my husband took him to the park and took off the training wheels to teach him how to ride bike. I was planning to meet up with them a little bit later. I was expecting my son to take days, or even weeks to learn, but was so surprised when I got to the park about an hour or so later, that he was already riding! [In a way, I was rather disappointed: I wanted my husband to have to spend LOTS of good bonding time together with his son teaching him to ride, but he managed to get out of that!]

I attribute the quickness of my son's learning to the balance bikes, but then again, I also know my son also seems to have good riding sense (he gets it from his daddy) so I don't know......

Oh, and also, my husband said it is very important that the height of the bike matches just right for the length of his legs.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 AM
CPF Senior Member

Our son learned to ride in our back garden when he was a little boy, simply by launching himself down the lawn until he lost his balance and fell off - at least it was a soft landing!

Now, at 34 years old, he is a serious competitive cyclist, takes part in triathlons, and runs spinning classes at his local gym.

Our older granddaughter (aged 9) is now on her third bike, which was given to her last Christmas - a joint present from Mum and Uncle Jonathan. It is practically adult sized, and should last her a long time, but she seems to be coping with it extremely well.

Jonathan Spinning................................Jessica on her new bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10505575_10153174967617814_543172914473199243_n.jpg (12.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-21 17.13.23.jpg (18.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Staff

I thought I should update this thread. For nearly four years my son struggled to learn to ride and had lost interest and grown out of his first bike. I decided late last year that this summer (Dec-Feb here) I was going to get him riding again and borrowed a bike for him.

In late Oct I took the kids and their bikes to the park. He got on his bike and he was off riding and has never looked back. He had ridden his scooter to school most days for the last year or so and had been doing Gym. I think both of these had helped his balance. After learning to ride his bike he wanting to bike everyday.

Yesterday he did the school ironman, 100m swim, 2km bike and 1km and survived.

I am a proud mum.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 AM
CPF Senior Member

That's great, Kathryn. It changes their whole life once they have mastered riding a bike, doesn't it?