Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > The Growing Family > Parents with Grown Children

Notices

Old 05-03-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Struggling to keep out of my 19 year olds business

My daughter who is 19, going to college and working part time, and still living at home, is really doing well. I'm not! HaHa It's lonely!

She hasn't been the most open person, she's very private and keeps to herself. She has her first boyfriend. He's a few years older than her, but we love him, and he goes to our church and has a wonderful family.

So basically I am just struggling to stay out of her business. She will share sometimes about her boyfriend or her friends, but most of the time it's only when she wants to. I am finding it hard not to ask her questions which just ends up irritating her.

She really has been so good, and hasn't given us too many problems over the years. She can be selfish and sometimes doesn't put others feelings first. Especially with her boyfriend. I guess I just don't want to see her mess that relationship up, but she doesn't really like advice. I know it's her mistakes to be made though.

Have I gone crazy or is this just the normal "mom" feelings in this season of life?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:52 PM
CPF Senior Member

Hi Marieseng,

I think your feelings are completely normal. Our two children are now in their thirties, so are a great deal further "down the road" than your daughter. Its completely natural for teenagers to guard their privacy, and only share with parents what they want to share. You will probably find however, as the years pass by, that there will be many times when your daughter still needs you, and the important thing is to be there for her. You will always be her parent and there will always be times when she needs you. You never stop being the parent of your children, however old they are. Your daughter may seem to be a bit of a "closed book" at present, but my guess is tht she will be a quite different person in five years time.

Just my two penn'rth. God bless,

Brian