Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Health Watch > Kids Health Concerns

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Leader

Default schools and food allergies

ugh! i am so frustrated with our school right now.
there are 13 3rd graders with a food allergy.
they are distributed amoung all the 3rd grade classrooms.
there is not ONE class that does not have a food allergy child in it!!
This will be Stephen's 2nd year in a row and now Jacob is in a classroom with a food allergy kid.
they expect us to buy prepackaged snacks for our children, because they eat their snack in the classroom.
i called the principal, and he cannot get Stephen into another class because
there are allergy kids in EVERY 3rd grade class!!! ridiculous!
i pay school taxes too! they should be able to accommodate my child as well.

(p.s. if you homeschool, please don't tell me this is one of the reasons why you homeschool. that would not be helpful right now. thanks!)
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 09-07-2011, 01:08 PM
CPF Senior Member

Ugh sorry Mare !!!

I have never experienced this with our school . I wonder if it would be possible to put the kids with allergies into one or two of the classes ....but maybe as Emily said that would be segregating. IDK .

I agree w/Vanna , pre packaged snacks are typcially unhealthy .

Last edited by bluebell; 09-07-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM
CPF Senior Member

That is very frustrating. I can kind of see why they don't put them all together...wouldn't that be kind of segregating? Lol, maybe not. I visited a school that had a special area in the lunch room called "the no peanut area" I think, it was odd, it was up on a stage platform type thing, I'd hate to be the kid who had to sit up there...

Doesn't it seem there are WAY more allergies now than there were when "we" were children? I know we are all different ages, but even me at age 25 I don't remember that many children needing special areas or all the kids had to bring special snacks. We brought lunch to school, we ate lunch....no problems, why all of a sudden is it a problem now?
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD 1 year
Mommy to two labradors

Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Staff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriokeeper View Post
This will be Stephen's 2nd year in a row and now Jacob is in a classroom with a food allergy kid.
they expect us to buy prepackaged snacks for our children, because they eat their snack in the classroom.

(p.s. if you homeschool, please don't tell me this is one of the reasons why you homeschool. that would not be helpful right now. thanks!)
LOL! God forbid I should ever say such a thing -- please forgive me if I have.

I really can understand your frustration. My children will be attending a co-op this yr (two really, b/c of music classes) and will be taking lunches with them for those days. No peanut butter for co-op (and this made my kids do the happy dance b/c they all of a sudden don't like PBJs).

I wonder if a list can be compiled of the allergy items to avoid so that you can choose to send homemade items and they don't all have to be pre-package (most pre-packs all filled w/ cr*p anyway -- what's that principal thinking?).

If you find out what the "no" items are and the principal is still determined to only allow pre-pack snacks, let us know and maybe we can suggest items that won't be too costly?

for you, darling.

ETA: Tell the principal you'd like to send fruit too like apple slices. He can't expect you to send pre-pack apple slices unless he's giving you the extra money for that -- and how ridiculous is THAT -- pre-pack apple slices (like in the Lunchables) - blech!

Last edited by Vanna; 09-07-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: to add... oh, I see your principal is a "he"
Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Hospitality Team

Quote:

I apologize if I have said this to you. I definitely may have as I just said it to another friend of mine who was complaining about the exact same thing on FB.

You are right in that the school should be able to accommodate your child just as they accommodate other students, but the reality is they probably don't see any way and figure a child's health is more important than homemade snacks (just my thoughts as a former public educator).

As Vanna said, can you send in fresh fruits and veggies? Other than those, it seems like you will have to spend more money to buy prepackaged items.

I agree that allergies seem to be on the rise and I tend to think it is because of what is allowed in our food that keeps our bodies from reacting to other foods as they should.

On the topic of snacks, I don't remember eating snacks at school or taking snacks to school or anything like that so why do we have to do it now?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Staff

So sorry you are having to deal with this, Mare. It does seem that the food allergies are getting worse for some reason.

As the mother of a child with a tree nut allergy, I am on the other side of this, I guess. It is very scary to send your child to school knowing that they could possibly come into contact with something that could kill them. Even though these children are required to have their medication at school, a lot of times it is in the office, which could be quite a ways away from the child's classroom. If the child has a reaction to a food, it could actually be too late by the time someone gets their medication to them.
I do think they should come up with ways to accomodate everyone, however. Alot of parents I know who have kids with food allergies will send in their own snacks for their children and/or make plans to be at the school at the time of the snack. This is what I did last year when my DS went to PS. BTW....this is NOT why my children are homeschooled again this year.

Could you maybe suggest to the principal that they bring their own snacks? Or maybe have them send a list of pre-approved homemade snacks? I agree that prepackaged snacks are ridiculously priced and not always ideal to send in for a classroom snack. I hope you can get something figured out that works for everyone.

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." (Col. 3:12-13)
Old 09-08-2011, 03:44 AM
Staff

My son's school doesn't have an allergy policy (to my knowledge no kids in his class have allergy issues) but when my kids were young we attended an Early Childhoon Centre that had a no nut or egg policy but also had a booklet with what products were okay (i.e nut and egg free) and recipes for nut and egg free products.

Surely they can give you a list of what not send rather than saying send prepackaged snacks.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily445455 View Post

Doesn't it seem there are WAY more allergies now than there were when "we" were children? I know we are all different ages, but even me at age 25 I don't remember that many children needing special areas or all the kids had to bring special snacks. We brought lunch to school, we ate lunch....no problems, why all of a sudden is it a problem now?
they do have an area in the lunch room for kids with nut allergies. and yes, there are way more allergies today than there were when i attended school. maybe because the doctors know what they are looking at.
i am not suggesting they put ALL the allergy kids in one class, but maybe in 3 classes. that way the non-allergic kids will get a break for 2 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanna View Post
I wonder if a list can be compiled of the allergy items to avoid so that you can choose to send homemade items and they don't all have to be pre-package (most pre-packs all filled w/ cr*p anyway -- what's that principal thinking?).

ETA: Tell the principal you'd like to send fruit too like apple slices. He can't expect you to send pre-pack apple slices unless he's giving you the extra money for that -- and how ridiculous is THAT -- pre-pack apple slices (like in the Lunchables) - blech!
yes, there is a list that they send home. and yes, i can pack apples/fruit. but sometimes my boys don't want that for a snack. i didn't want to have to restrict Stephen's snacks again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesmama View Post
I apologize if I have said this to you. I definitely may have as I just said it to another friend of mine who was complaining about the exact same thing on FB.
no worries! i just put that there to ward off any arguments! LOL

Quote:
You are right in that the school should be able to accommodate your child just as they accommodate other students, but the reality is they probably don't see any way and figure a child's health is more important than homemade snacks (just my thoughts as a former public educator).
yes, you are right. the reality is the school has to adhere to health codes first and foremost. but i would think that the principal could work around it a bit.
i.e., distributing the children with allergies in just 3 classrooms instead of all of them. JMO.

Quote:
On the topic of snacks, I don't remember eating snacks at school or taking snacks to school or anything like that so why do we have to do it now?
i don't remember it either. i think they do it for the younger grades only. their tummies are just too small to go through a whole 6hr day with just lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmy911 View Post
So sorry you are having to deal with this, Mare. It does seem that the food allergies are getting worse for some reason.

As the mother of a child with a tree nut allergy, I am on the other side of this, I guess. It is very scary to send your child to school knowing that they could possibly come into contact with something that could kill them. Even though these children are required to have their medication at school, a lot of times it is in the office, which could be quite a ways away from the child's classroom. If the child has a reaction to a food, it could actually be too late by the time someone gets their medication to them.
I do think they should come up with ways to accomodate everyone, however. Alot of parents I know who have kids with food allergies will send in their own snacks for their children and/or make plans to be at the school at the time of the snack. This is what I did last year when my DS went to PS.

Could you maybe suggest to the principal that they bring their own snacks? Or maybe have them send a list of pre-approved homemade snacks? I agree that prepackaged snacks are ridiculously priced and not always ideal to send in for a classroom snack. I hope you can get something figured out that works for everyone.
yes, i understand about the medication thing. and i know it's hard to accommodate EVERY parent's request.
each child is required to bring their own snack. there aren't any general snacks kept in the classrooms...mostly due to allergies.
so we need to pack a snack. and yes, they send home a list of what not to bring.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Staff

Lightbulb

Quote:
...each child is required to bring their own snack. there aren't any general snacks kept in the classrooms...mostly due to allergies.
so we need to pack a snack. and yes, they send home a list of what not to bring.
Can you share what's on the "what not to bring" list? (I'm curious to know what's on it -- and maybe we can suggests alternate snack items that would be in keeping w/regulations?).
Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanna View Post
Can you share what's on the "what not to bring" list? (I'm curious to know what's on it -- and maybe we can suggests alternate snack items that would be in keeping w/regulations?).
well, it's not that kind of list. it doesn't list "do not bring in chips." and such.
it tells you the things to avoid on a food label, such as nuts, almonds, peanuts, nut oils, etc.
usually on the label of the item you buy there is a warning if the item was
manufactured in a plant that processes nuts.
so we have to avoid those items. plus anything made with eggs. so no baked goods.