Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Health Watch > Kids Health Concerns

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Leader

Default ear infection :O(

Jake has an ear infection. some of you know this already.
this is the first one since he's had tubes placed 2 yrs ago.

The pediatrician said it was a type of bacteria that is resistant to anti-biotics, so instead of putting Jake on amoxicillan, he went to the next level of AB--omnicef. well, for two nights in a row, Jake has broken out in hives with this medicine. I am sure he's had this AB b4, but never reacted in this way.
Last night, the poor thing woke up screaming that his feet hurt. when i removed his feety pajamas, his feet were all swollen with hives! and when i checked his body, there were raised patches with radiating redness all over his body! When Jake woke up this morning, they were gone.

I called the pediatrician's ofc and at first the nurse wasn't going to do anything! I explained to her that this was the second night he's had this AB, and the first night Jake had a few hives, but they went away. last night it was more prevelant, but even though they went away, i believe it's the AB that is causing the hives. HELLO!!!!!!

so she made me hold on ( i think she went to ask the doctor!). when she returned she said that they will switch the AB to augmentin and to discontinue the omnicef. now that's what a nurse should do.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
CPF Senior Member

My kids has constant ear infections all last year .. I couldn't work because it was so bad .. tubes only work for a short time (my kids have them .. and I've lived a childhood of many sets) If your child keeps getting ear infections you just need new tubes. If you don't like the meds . try natural. It will clear up

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God.
--Phillipians 4:6

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her."
Max Lucado

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right."
--Billy Graham
Old 04-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Leader

well, like i said, Jake was good for two years! it seems like his ear canals should be angled enough to drain the fluid by now.

and what "natural" remidies fight anti-biotic resistant bacteria? please fill me in!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 AM
CPF Senior Member

Well .. the one that I always use is tea tree oil .. I have read about others .. I just go to home remedy or natural remedy websites ..and you can find about anything. I can't guarentee it will work for ya .. it just works for me. I just do my research I guess. You could phone up a naturalist/herbalist and they could also recommend something to you. Its really up to you CK .. if you don't usually do natural remedies then it might be something your leary of ya know

Curious as to how he could say its a special type of ear infection right away??? That seems weird. My kids' ear infections would not go away with several types of meds. Tubes cleared them up. Also .. how long has your son had an infection?

In my experience .. tubes last if your lucky, 2 years. Tubes don't exactly change your ear. They just allow your ear to drain as it can't by its self, once they are gone .. your ear is still the same .. sometimes kids are lucky and as they grow their canal grows too.

My tubes only ever lasted 1 year .. then I had to get another set. I had 7 or 8 sets of tubes. I still have infections .. but its not like it used to be. Are the tubes still in his ears?? .. they usually come out and are very tiny.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God.

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her."
Max Lucado

--Billy Graham
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriokeeper View Post
well, like i said, Jake was good for two years! it seems like his ear canals should be angled enough to drain the fluid by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofTwo84 View Post
Curious as to how he could say its a special type of ear infection right away??? That seems weird. My kids' ear infections would not go away with several types of meds. Tubes cleared them up. Also .. how long has your son had an infection?
When the doctor looked in Jake's ear, he saw little blisters on his ear drum. I guess the doctor has seen this b4, & knows this particular type is resistant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriokeeper View Post
this is the first one since he's had tubes placed 2 yrs ago.
The right tube fell out recently, the left tube is just laying in the ear canal.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
CPF Senior Member

Hmmmm .. well I guess that what he prescribed you made you find something he's allergic to ... hopefully this new med will wok for ya

Max Lucado

--Billy Graham
Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Leader

who knows. we'll see. I'm not saying natural remidies are out of the question though!
If Jake keeps getting ear infections after this one, i will look into removing his tonsils/adenoids. I have read that they can become a breeding ground after so many infections.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
CPF Senior Member

Good idea!! They most definetely can be a breeding ground .. I've heard that they don't want to take them out nowadays though? I don't know

Max Lucado

--Billy Graham
Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Leader

that's true. my ENT doesn't jump the gun when it comes to surgery, so i will go by what he says. Jake's tonsils were enlarged the last time he looked, but they weren't touching.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
CPF Senior Member

Well .. I'm praying for Jake's infection to clear right up with the new meds.

Max Lucado

--Billy Graham