Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > The Growing Family > Preschoolers and Elementary School Age

Notices

Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 PM

Default Fun of raising boys

Dear Buttonbear,

There are several versions but I love this poem:

What are little boys made of?
What are little boys made of?
Snips and snails
And puppy-dogs' tails,
That's what little boys are made of.
What are little girls made of?
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice
And everything nice,
That's what little girls are made of

I am male and raised a son. I have 3 grandsons. As a school principal I led initiatives to have the library, reading curriculum and some school policies more boy friendly. I write a parent blog - Christian Parenting for Today (you can google Mark Strohm and find it), which will occasionally deal with "boy" issues. I am currently putting together a website to help boys read more, so I am "into" the boy movement!

Here is some quick advice for moms raising boys.

When it comes to affection - love them just as much as any girl. Some boys will want to cuddle, some will love being tickled and hung upside down. Some boys love to bump and bang and wrestle with dad, but they all need hugs and kisses! If anyone tries to tell you boys do not, run from their advice.

But boys have some general differences. And moms who honor those differences and even delight in them will enjoy their sons more.

Boys love to explore and investigate. Let them. Of course all children like this, but boys typically delight in the pursuit of discovery. So discover together!

Some boys love to get dirty, others do not. If you have one that loves to get dirty, let him, but give him rules. When I was 10 I used to go outside and play in a muddy river. I loved it. My mom who was VERY NEAT and not in love my adventures understood boys. My brother and I had to take our clothes off in the laundry room which was right inside our house, next to the garage and "run" through the house in our underwear, to the disgust of my two older sisters, to our room. (Being boys, this did not bother us in the least and we used to play "underwear man" where we dressed up with a cape and ran around the house in our underwear.) My mom did not love our getting dirty but she accommodated it and came up with a way we could get dirty and she did not have mud all through the house.

Most boys love a challenge and many love competition. I coached both girls and boys tennis. One of the realities of coaching a sport - you have to do drills. That is the way you get better. The girls would do the drills willingly. The boys - it was like pulling teeth. They hated drills. So myself and the other coach decided we would make games out of the drills. Would you believe the boys would beg us to do the drill games! They just loved the competition. Keep your son challenged and allow him to compete. This does not necessarily mean organized sports. Some kids enjoy sports, others do not. But boys generally love competition because it is something they can conquer and all boys love a conquest. If you want to, you can even come up with fun games (or if you like call them conquests.) Like timing how long it takes him to get ready to leave for church. Get your watch out, say "on your mark, get set, go!" and tell him you will stop the time when he is by the door, dressed and ready to go. Then write the time down and see if he can better the score next time. Delight in his interests.

For whatever reason many boys are fascinated with bodily functions. Teach him that part of being a man, is he does not need to discuss this stuff around you or other women! Seriously, if you don't want to listen to them make fake fart noises, don't! Let them know that is not allowed in your presence. Also, teach them that if they are going to do naughty things when it comes to bodily functions they will get in trouble. As a school principal I had more than one group of first grade boys with gloves on cleaning up the bathroom floor where the two of them had a "pee off" seeing who could pee the farthest. Today's media - TV and movies, seem to delight in the fascination with boys and bodily function. While it starts with peeing and farting, it becomes sexual and very inappropriate. Teach you son that a real man is not disgusting.

Start early on to teach him what it means to be a godly man. If you go out together on a date with just the two of you, have his Dad teach him how to treat you. Come up with some little gestures he can do as "the man." You may be surprised how delighted he will be to take on this roll. This is especially true around 9 o 10, but even younger boys like this. Talk about the roll of a man. There are some great materials out there and you may want to read some of them. Recently I wrote a letter to a young man on his 13th birthday. The letter appears on my blog and outlines what it means to be a man of valor. (http://colossians2.com/2015/01/24/becoming-a-man/)

Don't force your son to do certain things because our society defines it as "manly." He does not have to kill the spiders if he is afraid. He does not have to play football. But he does have to act properly, be a man of honesty and integrity. Make sure he knows that you will respect him as a man for those qualities.

And speaking of respect, boys love respect. Don't flatter them, but when you see things you appreciate let him know in a way that gives him respect. For instance, lets say he treats a younger child kindly who was annoying him. When my daughters did something kind like that I could smile at them, whisper "thanks" into their ear and give them a long, strong hug and they were delighted. But my son, instead of just saying "thanks" I would tell him "wow, I saw what you just did, that took real patience and kindness to be nice to that boy who was bothering you. But you knew that as an older boy, your responsibility was to be kind to him. I really appreciate that and I am so amazed at how you are getting more and more mature. I am so proud of you!" Then watch him beam. Respect, respect, respect.

OK, that is all that is coming to mind at the moment. Maybe I will write this up as a future blog entry.

May God bless you in raising a boy. I pray you will learn to delight in his "boyness" that God blessed him with!

Blog: http://colossians2.com
Promoting Reading for Boys: http://boysread.club
Cyber Safety Site: http://CyberSafetySeminar.com
Old 02-17-2015, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the inspiration:
http://colossians2.com/2015/02/16/7-...raising-a-son/

Blog: http://colossians2.com
Promoting Reading for Boys: http://boysread.club
Cyber Safety Site: http://CyberSafetySeminar.com
Old 10-16-2017, 01:51 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesmama View Post
I am following this thread with great expectation of learning something myself. I have learned over Ford's first year of life that he is completely different from my girls!
Hi MM,

Just wondering how Ford is getting on among a house full of women! Its a couple of years since you wrote that he is quite different from your girls. What differences have you noticed, and how do you deal with them?