Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Take a Break! > News and Current Events

Notices

Old 04-25-2016, 12:40 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingfaith View Post
As things stand, Charles has to wait until his mother dies, unless she decides to abdicate before then (which is what King Edward VIII did in 1936). However, the Queen has always made it clear, right from the beginning of her reign up until the present time, that she will continue to serve as long as she lives, so abdication seems extremely unlikely. Bearing in mind that the Queen's mother lived to be 101 years old, Charles may have some years to go yet! Charles is currently 66 years old.

In practical terms, the Queen and Prince Philip (who is 94) have been gradually passing over their official duties to the younger Royals, and announced a year or two ago that they would no longer be flying long-haul. Many of their duties have now been taken over by their children and their grandchildren, especially in the more far-flung parts of the Commonwealth. William and Kate, along with young Prince George recently visited Australia and New Zealand.
This means for us here in NZ at the far end of her kingdom we will only get to see her if we visit London.

My daughter was excited that the Queen's birthday is 2 days before hers. While we might live thousands of miles away to be part of the British commonwealth is part of makes us Kiwi's (at least that is my view).

We watched an interesting documentary on her the other night. She is quite an amazing lady. Happy Birthday to our Queen.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 AM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
This means for us here in NZ at the far end of her kingdom we will only get to see her if we visit London.

My daughter was excited that the Queen's birthday is 2 days before hers. While we might live thousands of miles away to be part of the British commonwealth is part of makes us Kiwi's (at least that is my view).

We watched an interesting documentary on her the other night. She is quite an amazing lady. Happy Birthday to our Queen.
Yes, there still seems to be a lot of affection for the Royal Family "down under". A few years ago Australia voted to keep the Queen as Head of State, and I noticed more recently that NZ has just voted to keep the existing flag (with the Union Jack in the corner) in preference to a newer design.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:40 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingfaith View Post
Yes, there still seems to be a lot of affection for the Royal Family "down under". A few years ago Australia voted to keep the Queen as Head of State, and I noticed more recently that NZ has just voted to keep the existing flag (with the Union Jack in the corner) in preference to a newer design.
Yes the flag issue was an interesting debate. Not sure if it was that we all want to keep the union jack rather we didn't like the options given and that it would cost a fortune to change the flag.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 05-04-2017, 06:06 PM
CPF Senior Member

Buckingham Palace has today announced that Prince Philip will not be taking any more official engagements from the Autumn (Fall) of this year. He will be 96 years old in June, and HM the Queen is now 91.