Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Life At Home > Technology Help Desk

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Staff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmy911 View Post
I am thankful that my DH is somewhat of a "computer geek". He fixes most of our computer problems, and with the kids on it more and more lately, it needs "fixed" more often. I caught my 6 yr old DS downloading something the other day!!
Oh, I feel your "pain."
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Hospitality Team

Yes! My friend was able to fix my computer. Because we tried to use our lap top during the time the computer was down, we realized that needed some help as well. I asked him to completely clean it off for me because we saved any documents we needed and I have all the programs to put back on. He even upgraded it to Windows XP (it had Windows ME) so now my oldest can play some of the educational games she has recieved for gifts (we don't allow kids games on the desk top as that is our computer I use for my work and I don't want to slow it down).
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesmama View Post
My suggestion is to find someone you know who would be willing to help you out! I have a friend who I used to work with when I was a teacher who is the computer teacher and he is always willing to fix my computer for me. I wanted to pay him for this last time because my computer had completely crashed and it was a lot of work to get it up and running, but he wouldn't let me. Instead, I gave him a loaf of my fresh baked bread, some cookies, and some butterscotch bars. He was very appreciative!
Oh wow that is so great for you to bless him like that and he blessed you! God is good

Proud Army Wife! Hooah!
Mom_of_3_blessings Army Strong- 08/04
DD we lovingly call her Mimi - 02/01
DS1 we lovingly call him Papote- 01/06
DS 2 we lovingly call Spanky - 09/11
My heart - 06/10 - Our 4 legged son

I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!

Men do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.

האל ספק שלי
Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Just my two cents worth in addition to what's already mentioned...

By no means is this a complete list of things to make your computer "fresh" or "run faster", but I've found the following helps, in this particular order:

1. Check all your installed programs and un-install any not being used.

2. Run your Disk Defragmentation program (bundled with Windows O/S, if you use another O/S there should be a similar one, or you can download free ones online that are safe to use).

Over time, your harddisk data becomes fragmented, so that when it tries to run a program, it has to look in several different places to "piece" the program together before starting up. Defragging your disk mitigates this problem. I usually try running it once every quarter (the program will analyse and let you know if you need to run it).

3. If you feel comfortable, start up a command prompt and run your Registry Editor (type "regedit"). This lets you get rid of registry entries which un-installed programs may have left in the registry, even after you have un-installed them.

This slows your computer down when you start it up, as the O/S has more entries to go through...

Also, you may want to check if there are any programs which the Registry starts by default when your turn on your computer. If there are, and you don't need them, you can remove their start entries, and this saves you a bit of time.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Staff

Smile

This is good advice.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:37 AM

I have a General Cleaning Guide that will clean any system and bring it back to a state of health.

This has been brought about through both owning a Computer business and providing Antivirus Technical support since 2001.

Unfortunately the PDF is 410KB which is too big for this site. Send me a PM if you would like a copy.

Cheers
Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Staff

Lightbulb

Thanks for your kind offer. This is an old thread so I'm no longer dealing with PC problems, but maybe someone else might be and could benefit from these good suggestions.