Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Life At Home > Keeping Your Marriage Strong

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 02:14 PM
CPF Senior Member

Lightbulb Avoiding becoming a child centered home

I was very keen that your home does not become child centered but more Family centered .

I am seeking tips or advice on keeping our home from becoming child centered now our girls are getting older .....

I am keen that my hubby does not come home to girl drama and meltdowns ( girls can be slighly dramatic )

I want the children to know that once daddy comes home from work they need to take a back seat and , well get over themselves for lack of a better term .

Any suggestions ?

I want us to still have a strong marriage once our kids leave home and i dont want to find that we have nothing in common because we spent too much time focusing on the kids and not enough on ourselves .I also dont want kids who thinks our home revolves around them .
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 PM
CPF Senior Member

Some things I try to do are respect and submit to my husband as well as enforce DS obeys him and encourage DS to talk to him.
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD 1 year
Mommy to two labradors

Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 AM
Staff

Often I am finishing dinner when DH gets home so he gets to have some time with the kids. But we always sit down about 7 and have coffee. R is in bed but sometimes A is still up he is told that he needs to play quietly if he does.

We also pray and do a short devotion as a couple before we get up.

Also we try to do activities that work for the entire family rather than are kids activities.

I think that actually be aware of it is the first step to making sure it happens.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM

In my humble opinion, a commitment to your own unity as a couple (and the communication that it requires) is what keeps things from being child-centered. There's a ton of hard work that goes into it... more than a brief response to a comment thread can give

I've written on some of these things if you're interested...

Conversation Starters
Communication in Marriage
The Golden Rule for Married Couples

Carey Green
Marriage & family coach, speaker, author
URL: www.ChristianHomeAndFamily.com
URL: www.CareyGreen.com
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 AM

Well, godly parents must be a role model for their children. How a husband or wife treat their spouse could have a great impact on their children. This is something which is proven by various studies. In your case, you need to create a balance between the time that needs to be spent with your children and time that should be spent with your spouse. Both are critical in terms of their importance, but you can't focus entirely on either one and ignore the other one. It's quite obvious that one of the major problems that is bringing lots of marriages down is a lack of communication both husband and wife don't really spend time with each other.