Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Take a Break! > News and Current Events

Notices

Old 11-07-2016, 01:48 PM

Default US elections

Tomorrow is Election Day in the US, and we have been bombarded with politics here. There has been some discussions in this forum regarding vote choice, and I think it is time to reunite, in a civil manner. So, I dare ask, who will you vote for, and why?

I will start: I will vote for Donald J. Trump. I have to admit, I was really on the fence about this, although I would consider myself a very loyal Republican. But at the end of the day, two things convinced me. First, he understands where this country has gone wrong and followed a hidden liberal agenda undermining our values (i.e. http://www.angrypatriotmovement.com/...spanking-kids/). And, Ted Cruz, who was my favorite candidate, endorses him, and I know Cruz follows the Lord more than any other current politician. At the end of the day, what country do we want to live in? One in which we kill innocent babies, legalize marriage among gays, forbid parents to choose how to raise their kids, believe liberal lies such as "global warming", or one in which parents are allowed and encouraged to raise children in the mold of God? This is an easy decision for me (although I continue to feel uneasy about the candidate Trump).

So, I will be praying, and a lot of my sources who are usually pretty well informed and much smarter than me (i.e. Sean Hannity!) say he is favored to win! I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Lots of Love,
Leah
Old 11-08-2016, 03:57 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggio.leah View Post
Tomorrow is Election Day in the US, and we have been bombarded with politics here. There has been some discussions in this forum regarding vote choice, and I think it is time to reunite, in a civil manner. So, I dare ask, who will you vote for, and why?

I will start: I will vote for Donald J. Trump. I have to admit, I was really on the fence about this, although I would consider myself a very loyal Republican. But at the end of the day, two things convinced me. First, he understands where this country has gone wrong and followed a hidden liberal agenda undermining our values (i.e. http://www.angrypatriotmovement.com/...spanking-kids/). And, Ted Cruz, who was my favorite candidate, endorses him, and I know Cruz follows the Lord more than any other current politician. At the end of the day, what country do we want to live in? One in which we kill innocent babies, legalize marriage among gays, forbid parents to choose how to raise their kids, believe liberal lies such as "global warming", or one in which parents are allowed and encouraged to raise children in the mold of God? This is an easy decision for me (although I continue to feel uneasy about the candidate Trump).

So, I will be praying, and a lot of my sources who are usually pretty well informed and much smarter than me (i.e. Sean Hannity!) say he is favored to win! I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Lots of Love,
Leah
This is pretty much exactly how I feel too. I voted for Trump today and, though I always feel discouraged and defeated during election time, I especially do this year. I'd be curious to see what some of friends from other places of the world have to say about the election
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD born 1 year
Mommy to two labradors

Old 11-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Hospitality Team

While I'm not advertising who I voted for, I have to say that even as I stood in the booth this morning I wasn't sure who I was going to vote for. I had prayed this morning that God would give me peace about who to vote for (I for sure knew who I wasn't voting for). I have been in a big debate with myself of voting for someone who I don't necessarily agree with and voting third party. It wasn't until I had marked all other elections that God told me who to vote for. This is the first time ever this has happened to me. Regardless of who wins, this nation is in trouble if we don't repent and turn from our wicked ways!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:44 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily445455 View Post
This is pretty much exactly how I feel too. I voted for Trump today and, though I always feel discouraged and defeated during election time, I especially do this year. I'd be curious to see what some of friends from other places of the world have to say about the election
So its Trump. I don't think many people saw that coming.

The immediate re-action here was to liken the vote to the Brexit vote over here a few month ago, and interpret it as a gathering movement across the world to dump the perceived political establishment (the Westminster elite over here, and the Washington elite in the USA), and give voice to what the people really think.

One interesting comment I heard in the media today, is that the only way Trump could have won was if millions of the people he went out of his way to insult, still went out and voted for him. So clearly, there are huge numbers of American voters who saw in him some kind of core values that were of greater importance than the insults.

I think the reaction here in the UK has been first one of surprise (along with most of the rest of the world I guess), and then one of quiet acceptance. Our new Prime Minister, Teresa May, was noticeably quiet about Trump in the run-up to the elections, and did not join in the chorus of criticism which came from many other sources over here.

President-elect Trump seems quite well disposed towards the UK, in contrast to President Obama who visited earlier in the year and told us that "Britain would be at the back of the queue for future trade deals" if we chose to leave the European Union. I think there is a fair bit of goodwill at present that future relationships can be mutually beneficial. One thing which has troubled people, however, is Trump's apparent disinterest in NATO, which is basic to the defense of the whole Western World.

It will be very interesting to see how things develop from here. Will President Trump be more conciliatory and inclusive that Candidate Trump?
Old 11-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Staff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingfaith View Post
So its Trump. I don't think many people saw that coming.

The immediate re-action here was to liken the vote to the Brexit vote over here a few month ago, and interpret it as a gathering movement across the world to dump the perceived political establishment (the Westminster elite over here, and the Washington elite in the USA), and give voice to what the people really think.
That's exactly it, Brian. In the days leading up to the election there was talk on the conservative radio (not the mass media which is very liberal leaning) of the US having its own Brexit for all the reasons you mentioned. The hashtag #DrainTheSwamp capsulated that sentiment.

Quote:
...One interesting comment I heard in the media today, is that the only way Trump could have won was if millions of the people he went out of his way to insult, still went out and voted for him. So clearly, there are huge numbers of American voters who saw in him some kind of core values that were of greater importance than the insults.
I'm not sure that was the reason. I think both candidates (Hillary and Trump) were exceedingly bad choices to have as major party candidates. Many people had many different reasons why they voted for one over the other. I think the media blew some of those insults out of proportion and people could see through that clearly. Add to that the overwhelming sentiment that Hillary could not be trusted and one might begin to see why enough people in key areas voted for Trump. He lost the popular vote but won the electoral college (which is the great equalizer so that the most populous states don't get to determine the outcome of presidential elections).

Quote:
...I think the reaction here in the UK has been first one of surprise (along with most of the rest of the world I guess), and then one of quiet acceptance. Our new Prime Minister, Teresa May, was noticeably quiet about Trump in the run-up to the elections, and did not join in the chorus of criticism which came from many other sources over here.
Oh, that's good to hear.

Quote:
...President-elect Trump seems quite well disposed towards the UK, in contrast to President Obama who visited earlier in the year and told us that "Britain would be at the back of the queue for future trade deals" if we chose to leave the European Union. I think there is a fair bit of goodwill at present that future relationships can be mutually beneficial. One thing which has troubled people, however, is Trump's apparent disinterest in NATO, which is basic to the defense of the whole Western World.
Yes, your quote about Obama brings up another reason why people might have voted for Trump over Hillary. She promised to continue much of what Obama has done over the past eight years. Many folks realize that what they DIDN'T want was more of the same, and if that's was what they would get, their collective "no thank you" led to the biggest political upset in the history of our nation.

Quote:
...It will be very interesting to see how things develop from here. Will President Trump be more conciliatory and inclusive that Candidate Trump?
Well, what we have to keep in mind is that no president is an absolute ruler here. When we get a new president we get a package deal: a Vice President, cabinet members (advisors), and staff numbering over a thousand people (and about 300 of them selected by the new prez). Presidents don't make laws. If done the right way, Congress writes the bills for the prez to either sign or veto. There's a wonderful system of checks and balances built into our government to that no one person has absolute authority.

I'm hopeful and optimistic about this new administration. Hopefully it will really happen. I've heard that the liberals are petitioning the Electoral College to vote Hillary in instead of Trump like they are supposed to. Six electors have pledged to do so far, but that won't be enough to change the vote. Their Election Day is on December 19.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:00 PM
CPF Senior Member

Yes, thanks Vanna, that's a very interesting reply. As you say, the American political system does seem to be incredibly complex, with many checks and balances built-in. I've tried several times to get my head around it, but it defeats me every time!
In the meantime, Trump seems to be already softening his approach on many issues, and my guess is that those checks and balances, together with the inevitable pressures of office, will result in a more centre-ist administration than the rhetoric might have suggested.