Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > The Growing Family > Parents with Grown Children

Notices

Old 07-17-2016, 06:02 AM

Default We are leaving teenager home alone?!!

Would you leave your teenager alone at home 5 days a week as you and your spouse go to work? We thought she/he was responsible enough but now we are worried. I think one of us should be home at least.
What would you do?
She/he is 15.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 AM
CPF Senior Member

I think 15 is marginal. There has been some recent discussion over here as to what is the minimum legal age to leave a child alone in the house. Apparently, the short answer is that there is no legally defined minimum age, and it is down to the discretion of the authorities if they think the child is too young. Unsurprisingly, many people think this is an unsatisfactory situation.

If you are talking about regularly leaving your teenager alone for extended periods, I would think that 16 is a more realistic minimum age. Its a long time ago now since our children were teenagers, but I think we first went away on holiday and left our son in the house on his own when he was 16. We left him with a pile of food, a bit of money, and instructions not to burn the house down!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Hospitality Team

I definitely would leave a 15 year old home alone. In fact, our girls start babysitting siblings at age 13.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:10 AM
Staff

Here in NZ there is no legal age to leave a child/teen alone however you have to be 14 to babysit even a sibling.

I know my sister does leave her kids home alone for short periods once they are 12-13 years. I know she wouldn't leave even her 15 alone for a weekend or even for a number of work days in a row. My niece has babysat my two kids and her brother for 2 days these holidays while we were sorting out my parents house but this is unusual.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 07-21-2016, 03:26 AM
Staff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by messedupdad View Post
Would you leave your teenager alone at home 5 days a week as you and your spouse go to work? We thought she/he was responsible enough but now we are worried. I think one of us should be home at least.
What would you do?
She/he is 15.
Hmmmm... To leave a young person home alone during work hours, 5 days a week? I guess if you had no other alternatives, okay (not illegal) but I would not. I think that's way too much time to fall into temptation or for trouble to find that young person. JMO.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 AM
CPF Senior Member

It probably depends on the maturity of the teenager.
Mommy to DD 4 years
Mommy to DD born 4/30/2016
Mommy to two labradors