Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Health Watch > Kids Health Concerns

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Leader

it's never an easy thing to do.
i will share with you all that on June 2, 2009, my sisters and i had to make that decision for my mother.
she was on life support and had no real chance of recovering. her heart was failing, and she kept having heart attack after heart attack.
the cardiologist said there was nothing they could do but keep pounding her chest, or defribulating her. it was a nightmare.
she was not conscious. there really wasn't anything more that modern medicine could do.
since my sisters were not saved, i prayed for us all.
my mother was saved and we all knew that she didn't want to live on any machines.
so we decided to take her off the machines. i prayed to God that this was the right thing to do.
just before the nurse was to shut down the machines, my mother had another heart attack....it was fatal.
God took her before they had the chance to take her off the machines.
i am thankful for that. because now we do not have to live with any guilt that might have lingered.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 PM

I wouldn't want to let go. I lost my wife in this situation, she was in a car accident, she was brain dead and none of her organs were working on their own. It was the hardest decision I have ever made. When they "pulled the plug" she stopped breathing, her heart stopped, and she died.

If one of my children were in this situation, I don't know what I would do. I don't want to lose either of them, ever. I'd probably hold on hoping some day they'd wake up, but if they were brain dead and no organs were working on their own I would have to make the decision. They are already dead at that point, in my opinion.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake72 View Post
I wouldn't want to let go. I lost my wife in this situation, she was in a car accident, she was brain dead and none of her organs were working on their own. It was the hardest decision I have ever made. When they "pulled the plug" she stopped breathing, her heart stopped, and she died.

If one of my children were in this situation, I don't know what I would do. I don't want to lose either of them, ever. I'd probably hold on hoping some day they'd wake up, but if they were brain dead and no organs were working on their own I would have to make the decision. They are already dead at that point, in my opinion.
Sorry to hear about your wife. Thanks for sharing. I hope I am never in that situation but like other posters I would probably spend a lot of time praying about it.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Leader

Quote:
so sorry to hear this! that must have been so difficult for you.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Staff

Quote:

I am so sorry! That must have been the hardest thing you had to do

Proud Army Wife! Hooah!
Mom_of_3_blessings Army Strong- 08/04
DD we lovingly call her Mimi - 02/01
DS1 we lovingly call him Papote- 01/06
DS 2 we lovingly call Spanky - 09/11
My heart - 06/10 - Our 4 legged son

I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!

Men do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.

האל ספק שלי
Old 04-29-2014, 05:22 PM

It would depend on the specific situation and also what God was telling me.
If the body can't support it's self in any way, relies completely on machines for basic bodily functions, is brain dead, etc. then I believe it's time to pull the plug. By then it is just an empty shell.

Hope, Katie, Toby, Jake, Mallory, Ben, and Emma.