Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Raising Christian Children > Discipline

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Default Yelling

Are any of you out there a yeller as I am? I feel I am constantly yelling at my 6 year old daughter. I am not quick to spank and on the times I have , she just looks at me. I have fou d myself nagging or even worse trying to avoid having her do things so as not to set her off.
I feel like such a failure some times, I take away toys, she has slammed her door too many times so I have taken that down before as well.
Help!!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Hello

I know how you feel as sometimes I think that all I do is nag or shout at my girls. I have been trying to be more consistent with them and to use different methods to get them to do as they are told. It is a difficult battle but I think that I am starting to see some light but still have a long way to go.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Hi Paula, what are you do that is showing positive results?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Remember singlemom it is not the mistakes you made but how you go about correcting that really counts. As for advice not sure if this will help you but it has me.

When I feel very angry will remove myself from the situation and try to calm down. I will also tell my children mommy is in a grumpy mood so they know to try and avoid me a little bit.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:39 PM

Not sure if this will help but wish you the best of luck.

http://www.ahaparenting.com/BlogRetr...&ObjectType=55
Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM

Thank you for your help, it's not an anger issue more I feel I am nagging all the time
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Staff

I often feel the same way and often that consistent yell or nagging seems the only way I get anything done.

One thing that I have found helps get things done in our house is to give the kids a list of things that need to be done before a certain time. For before school tasks this is a permanent thing list but even at other time I give them a list.

I then walk away and leave them to it and do the things I need to do. If they aren't done then either we wont go out until they are done (this works in holidays etc) or if we have to leave(eg school) then the list is waiting to be done before they get play time.

SAHM to two school kids A (9.5) and R (7.5)
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM

Single mom sent you a private message. I think we have all been at that point singlemom, don't feel like you are alone
Old 10-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Staff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemomof1 View Post
Are any of you out there a yeller as I am? I feel I am constantly yelling at my 6 year old daughter. I am not quick to spank and on the times I have , she just looks at me. I have fou d myself nagging or even worse trying to avoid having her do things so as not to set her off.
I feel like such a failure some times, I take away toys, she has slammed her door too many times so I have taken that down before as well.
Help!!
Oy! Sounds like a pretty scary situation.

I used to yell and even felt like it was my "right" to yell, but then I realized that it wasn't helping the situation nor getting the results I was looking for. Plus, the Bible doesn't tell us to yell at our kids, but to correct them and train them in the way they should go.

If you're interested, I can recommend some excellent parenting books from a Christian perspective or feel free to check out this thread where CPF members share the books that have been most helpful to them:

http://www.christianparentsforum.com...arenting+books
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Vanna, I will accept all the advice I can get. Real advice through real parents with Christian perspective is probably better than books, not that I won't read the books. I have read alot and look forward to the books suggested by those here.

God's blessings,
Sara