Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Raising Christian Children > Discipline

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Staff

Thumbs up Valuable Audio Series: How NOT to Foul Up the Training of Your Children

This series is definitely "an oldie, but a goodie." My hubby and I first listened to it when we were expecting our first child (now a teen). There are 40 messages, but all very worth your time.

Summary from the site:

This series of studies, one of the most helpful and popular series of the Trinity Pulpit, rose out of a pastor’s deep concern for the climate of our homes, but, unlike many of the “helps” offered today, this teaching is explicitly biblical from beginning to end! Although he draws from his experience as a pastor, as a parent, and even as a child reared in a Christian home, Pastor Martin does not merely fill up these tapes with anecdotes. Specific practical applications for nurturing our children are extracted directly from the Scriptures.
Pastor Martin’s balanced biblical instruction and warm pastoral insight make this material useful for adult Sunday School classes, home Bible studies as well as your own private study.

http://confessingbaptist.com/how-not...child-rearing/
Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Thank you. I have listened to a few and even though it is older material it seems still pretty pertinent.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof1 View Post
Thank you. I have listened to a few and even though it is older material it seems still pretty pertinent.
Glad to hear!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Needless to say there are some things while staying with the fundamentals that never are outdated.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM

It's taking me a long time to get through this, but there's a lot of wisdom in here. I like the fact that he doesn't say anything without backing it up from 2-3 or more passages from the bible. This leads to a very balanced viewpoint. I have a lot of respect for someone who will not teach anything without backing it up from the bible. Too many people teach their own opinion on matters which although it sounds good, is still just an opinion.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Staff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhenya View Post
It's taking me a long time to get through this, but there's a lot of wisdom in here. I like the fact that he doesn't say anything without backing it up from 2-3 or more passages from the bible. This leads to a very balanced viewpoint. I have a lot of respect for someone who will not teach anything without backing it up from the bible. Too many people teach their own opinion on matters which although it sounds good, is still just an opinion.
I so appreciate your post, Zhenya. You expressed my heart regarding teaching and Bible passages to back it up to a "T."

Thank you for taking the time to go through the messages. It's totally worth the investment.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:04 AM

I would also give a hearty Amen to this series. I sat in each one of them live back in 91. Our daughter was 3 y/o at the time and now she is 26 and we have two boys as well. The series is old but it is all every bit of it applicable today. There is nothing outdated. What I liked about the series is that you learned a lot about yourself as well and saw where your own problems are. We still listen to it and find it helpful with our 3 kids while they still live in our home.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 AM

The series has been updated and can be found on sermon audio.com below. Pastor Martin redid the series in 2010 and talks about issues such as the Internet which wasn't such a challenge to families back in 91.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.as...n=Foul&x=0&y=0
Old 11-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Staff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpm View Post
I would also give a hearty Amen to this series. I sat in each one of them live back in 91. Our daughter was 3 y/o at the time and now she is 26 and we have two boys as well. The series is old but it is all every bit of it applicable today. There is nothing outdated. What I liked about the series is that you learned a lot about yourself as well and saw where your own problems are. We still listen to it and find it helpful with our 3 kids while they still live in our home.
You were there live!?!?! How cool is that? Thank you for your excellent review. It's good to hear from others how profitable this series has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhenya View Post
The series has been updated and can be found on sermon audio.com below. Pastor Martin redid the series in 2010 and talks about issues such as the Internet which wasn't such a challenge to families back in 91.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.as...n=Foul&x=0&y=0
Good to know! I'm glad to hear they're on Sermonaudio! It's one of my fave apps (esp. Sermonaudio radio). I think I'll download the messages. I can use a refresher.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM

I just finished listening to the first 30 minutes of one audio (still have the 2nd half to complete) and it was extremely helpful! I actually chose one in the hopes of learning how I could apply it for teaching my little kids, but ended up realizing how much I could use it to apply for growing spiritually myself!

Thanks so much for sharing this audio series! I am glad to hear it is updated too. I look forward to listening to the rest of it!