Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > The Growing Family > Connecting with Preteens and Teens

Notices

Old 12-13-2016, 08:06 AM
Hospitality Team

Default Praying for our children's future spouses

I have been praying for each of my children's future spouses since before they were born. I don't know who they are or if we have met them yet, but God already has the best choice for them so He knows.

About two years ago, I felt God telling me that a certain young man would be my oldest daughter's future husband. This was impressed upon me during my prayer time for her future husband and even in dreams. When I mentioned this to my husband, he said he had felt God telling him the same thing. Well, all we did was "pondered this in our hearts".

The time is coming closer for our oldest to be on an age where getting married is a possibility. Even though this young man is a few years older, he is still single. I'm starting to wonder if we heard God properly. I would still love for this young man to be our son-in-law some day, but he has been talking about wanting to find a young woman and there has been no indication that he is considering our daughter. I know it is wrong to worry about this and I have been taking it to the Lord in prayer every time the thoughts come up, but I would like some input from other parents with grown children. Did you pray for your children's spouses? Did you ever feel like God telling you that one person would be there spouse? Did it work out? How did you handle it? Etc.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:44 AM

Default Hope this will help

In my experience,it is good to pray for them.
yes,God can surely tells you who their partner would be.
Yes,it will surely work out if it is the Lord's will indeed.
But how you handle it makes the difference..Never try to force the thought on them,try and know the young man values and mission in life and see whether your daughter has what it takes to support him.But all these are just secondary matter the main thing is 'is it really the Lord's will?' if yes,please it will surely come to pass..
Old 12-16-2016, 04:31 PM
CPF Senior Member

Well, I'm a parent with grown children, (ours are currently 32 and 35) so I suppose I ought to have something to say. I should preface any remarks by saying that neither of them has made any Christian commitment, but they are both very respectful of Rita's and my Christian convictions.

We have prayed for them all their lives, and we still pray and hope that in the fullness of time they will come to share the faith in Jesus Christ that we have.

We have never concentrated on any one individual as our "preferred" life-partner for either of them, and in fact they have both gone through a number of relationships over the years. I think that it is probably misguided to try and "choose" our children's partners for them. Our experience is that they will make their own choices, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. We have always tried to allow them a degree of freedom, increasingly as they got older. Looking back from the vantage point of the present day, I wonder if we should have imposed ourselves a little more than we did in the earlier years, and I certainly regret not talking and discussing with them more. I thought that our faith would probably "rub-off" on to them as they matured. What in fact happened was that they grew-up respecting our faith, but not sharing it. I realise MM, that our parenting philosophy has been in some respects different from yours, but I totally respect you for the way in which you have, and continue to, bring up your children, even thought I don't think I could ever have done it that way myself.

Our son Jonathan, now 35, has had a number of girl-friends since his school days and the present time, but has now settled down with Melissa, a lovely girl just a little younger than him. They became engaged a few weeks ago, and are planning to marry in August 2018.

Jennifer, now 32, has also had a number of boy friends, but has now settled down with Gary. She has given us our two much-loved grandchildren, but by different relationships.

I think it inevitable that our children will make some mistakes just as we all do, as they progress through life. What I believe is important is that we love and support them through thick and thin, and continue to hold them in our prayers.

Although are children are not committed Christians, they are both capable, well-educated, respectful, and hard-working individuals. We are a close and loving family, and I pray that may always be so.

I hope my reflections and meanderings may have been of some help to you, as your children grow up, and you seek to support and guide them through every developing stage of life.

God bless you and your family,

Brian
Old 12-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Staff

Lightbulb

Hi Darcy,

It's a wonderful privilege to pray for our children's future spouses and I also try to pray specifically for the kind of spouses my children will have and will be. I believe we need to pray and leave the results with God; He is the One who will bring things to pass according to His will.

Recently, I stumbled on this wonderful blog post giving really good specific suggestions for what we can pray for our future sons and daughters in law, like to kind of atmosphere in the home they're being raised in and how they're being educated: http://www.fulfillingyourvows.com/pr...ldrens-future/

Unfortunately, the site is riddled with pop ups so I took screenshots of the article and saved them in iBooks. If you like, I can share those screenshots with you.