Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > The Growing Family > Infants & Toddlers

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitnessforhim View Post
I forgot to add something. I felt the same way you did momma when my DD was 15mo. I felt like I couldn't go out anywhere because she needed me to go to sleep and in the middle of the night. I even had DH and DD tag along (secretly) to a business trip with me because I couldn't bare the thought of her crying for me in the middle of the night. However, let me say that this will only last so long momma. There will come a day when your son won't depend on you in the middle of the night or to go to sleep. Nursing these precious gifts won't last forever and even though it seems like forever now, looking back on this later on will seem like faint precious memories.

Now at 21mo. I feel very confident that DD would be fine in the middle of the night if I was not there. I thought we'd never get to this point but we did. It took a lot of patience, a lot of love and a lot of hope but we allowed her to reach this milestone on her own in the most positive why possible. I still nurse her to sleep but I know that if I wasn't there DD is now comfortable having DH sooth her to sleep...it just takes time momma. Hang in there!
Thanks for your encouragement. I should clarify that the potty training thing was about my older son who's 3 1/2! If you're happy nursing your daughter to sleep then of course you don't need to stop. I just feel that I've had enough of doing it with Joshua and I'd like to be able to just put him to bed for a sleep, as I could generally with Michael. I don't think sleep is very positive for him - he does fight it sometimes particularly when he wakes in the early hours of the morning; it's often hard to get him back to sleep. I'm trying to do it the gentle way by sitting near him - we'll have to see how it goes.

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! 1 John 3:1
Old 09-08-2009, 12:28 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki J View Post
Thanks for your encouragement. I should clarify that the potty training thing was about my older son who's 3 1/2! If you're happy nursing your daughter to sleep then of course you don't need to stop. I just feel that I've had enough of doing it with Joshua and I'd like to be able to just put him to bed for a sleep, as I could generally with Michael. I don't think sleep is very positive for him - he does fight it sometimes particularly when he wakes in the early hours of the morning; it's often hard to get him back to sleep. I'm trying to do it the gentle way by sitting near him - we'll have to see how it goes.
I'm sorry its been so tough on you! I hope that things work out for you and he learns to self-sooth. I think you are doing a good thing by trying to be near him as he falls asleep. I know being a mom can be so hard!

Ok yes, potty training the 3 1/2 YO would make my response very different. I pray for guidance and wisdom for you in that area.
But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.” But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 1 Peter 3:14–17

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Leader

Quote:
IMO it only teaches the child that crying will not result in mommies attention no matter how much you cry.

As far as potty training. I'm no expert on this but from my research and from talking to other mothers who have successfully potty trained and from talking to my pediatrician your son is to young to enforce any kind of potty training.
I wasn't saying to let him cry it out per se, i did advise if he cried for longer than a period of say 20 min, then to pick him up. I wouldn't let my son cry hysterically until he fell asleep.

Also, the potty training issue is for her other son, not the 15 month old.

Quote:
I think this is exactly why sleep training causes such issues in children because it's going against the consistency of what they are normally use to when falling asleep. Mommy use to nurse me to sleep and now that consistency has abruptly changed. If I was a child who was dependent on the warmth of my mothers breast to fall asleep I'd be pretty upset too if that was taken away. I just think there are gentler ways to teach a child such things which don't break the consistency.
I guess I forgot to add that I had weaned my son prior to doing this sleep training method! SORRY! And it can be a gentle way to teach your child.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriokeeper View Post
I wasn't saying to let him cry it out per se, i did advise if he cried for longer than a period of say 20 min, then to pick him up. I wouldn't let my son cry hysterically until he fell asleep.

I guess I forgot to add that I had weaned my son prior to doing this sleep training method! SORRY! And it can be a gentle way to teach your child.
oops...too late on that one! LOL
Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
CPF Senior Member

Quote:

Yeah I'm sorry I didn't know it was for the older son. I can see the point now that you need to be active about the potty training. My mistake.

Quote:
That would make a huge difference for me and in that case I would see the need for helping him sleep.
But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.” But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 1 Peter 3:14–17

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Leader

Quote:
Yeah I'm sorry I didn't know it was for the older son. I can see the point now that you need to be active about the potty training. My mistake.
it was an wasy one to make! LOL
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
CPF Senior Member

Okay, it didn't go too badly last night. He woke up two or three more times (hard to keep count at that time of night) - the first time he cried for a while and I sat in the room till he fell asleep. Later on I just turned on the musical nightlight I'd been using earlier and left him and he went back to sleep pretty quickly. He slept till 7 this morning! I was offering him water in the night and he didn't want any, but this morning he was very thirsty. Obviously though he hadn't been too thirsty or hungry to sleep.

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! 1 John 3:1
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki J View Post
Okay, it didn't go too badly last night. He woke up two or three more times (hard to keep count at that time of night) - the first time he cried for a while and I sat in the room till he fell asleep. Later on I just turned on the musical nightlight I'd been using earlier and left him and he went back to sleep pretty quickly. He slept till 7 this morning! I was offering him water in the night and he didn't want any, but this morning he was very thirsty. Obviously though he hadn't been too thirsty or hungry to sleep.
Praise God, glad it is getting better!

Proud Army Wife! Hooah!
Mom_of_3_blessings Army Strong- 08/04
DD we lovingly call her Mimi - 02/01
DS1 we lovingly call him Papote- 01/06
DS 2 we lovingly call Spanky - 09/11
My heart - 06/10 - Our 4 legged son

I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!

Men do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.

האל ספק שלי
Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM

I think you are making the right decision. I definetly don't think he's too young. I did this with my son at 6 months. It took about a week of the sitting in the room and moving closer and closer to the door. It was a rough week YES, but everyone was sooo much happier after. if and when he woke in the middle of the night i did a couple different things,
i tried nursing and then he just kept waking, i tried rocking him and laying him back down awake. My grandma told me that babies wont' wake for water so you could try giving him a bottle of warm water. Eventually you just have to go in and lay him down and give him a kiss. Honestly your hubby probably just has no idea whats going on and doesn't have the same emotion bond and motherly instinct as you. If you are weak and not sure what to do or if it's the right thing and your worried, your baby will sense it. BE clam and KNOW your baby is 100% capable of sooting himself to sleep and sleeping through the night. GOOD LUCK
Old 09-09-2009, 11:54 PM
CPF Senior Member

Thank you for that - I'd tried just giving him water when he woke in the night a few times because that worked with my older son, but Joshua wouldn't drink it. Last night was better again - he only woke twice and went back to sleep quickly with me sitting there. I never would have thought it would happen because he had such a strong feed-sleep association.

I haven't bought Michael underpants yet - I told DH maybe next week but I really want to wait for the holidays! I don't think it's exactly urgent because he still doesn't have a lot of interest in it.