Share This Forum!  

Go Back   Christian Parents Forum > Health Watch > Kids Health Concerns

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelleld View Post
I have been just "observing" this conversation and I have to say it kind of freaks me out on several levels.

We found out a few months ago that Anna has a peanut allergy. I don't think it's severe (we recently flew for the first time, and despite my hesitation decided not to tell them that she has the nut allergy and they served peanuts on the flight. We didn't give her any but she was fine), but I don't know if it will get worse and she hasn't been "officially" tested yet. (she reacted with hives so we know she has the allergy)

The reason this conversation kind of bothers me is that I have not quite figured out how to deal with Anna's allergy in a school type setting (not that I have decided if she is even going to school, homeschooling is not off the table yet) and I am seeing what I have heard about that kids with allergies can get "labeled" and mistreated because they are seen as an inconvience to others. That makes me so sad!

It does seem like your son's school has gone beyond the normal "nut free" which seems a little odd but that also means that those kids probably have some really severe allergies! I feel bad for them! I am sure they were not put in all separate classes on purpose, they probably have a system for how they separate kids into classes and allergies have nothing to do with it (it probably has more to do with the children's academic levels)
i'm sorry if you feel that the children are being labeled or mistreated in any way! that is definitely not the case in our school!!
i am simply saying that with the large amount of students who do have allergies, they could possibly place them in 3 classrooms instead of every classroom. and yes, they do place students according to their academic levels as well.
the student themselves are not looked upon as an "inconvenience."
i'm sorry if that came accross. i would never put any child in harm's way.
i simply want my child to have a good experience in school.

Anyway, we have made peace with it already...and it's only the third day of school!
i told my son that it's a good opportunity for him to be selfless and place another person's needs before his own.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriokeeper View Post
i'm sorry if you feel that the children are being labeled or mistreated in any way! that is definitely not the case in our school!!
i am simply saying that with the large amount of students who do have allergies, they could possibly place them in 3 classrooms instead of every classroom. and yes, they do place students according to their academic levels as well.
the student themselves are not looked upon as an "inconvenience."
i'm sorry if that came accross. i would never put any child in harm's way.
i simply want my child to have a good experience in school.

Anyway, we have made peace with it already...and it's only the third day of school!
i told my son that it's a good opportunity for him to be selfless and place another person's needs before his own.
A good lesson for us all.
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM

if they place the children in three classrooms instead of all of them... how do they choose which classrooms? the parents in those three classrooms would have every right to complain, wouldn't they? what if they did the 3 classrooms thing and your son ends up in one of them?